Wet Chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by blueberrychickens, Jan 19, 2011.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Yesterday we had a snow/ice storm so the girls were "cooped" up all day. Today I let them out into their run, after shoveling out their run that is...(thanx DH!) It started to rain this afternoon & the girls didn't go & hide under the coop like they usually do, they were apparantly too busy scratching around in the leaves I had put down. Now 7 of them are looking pretty wet & soggy. Its going to be down into the teens tonight, do you think the girls will be ok or should I give them some heat for a little while to dry out??? Now I'm worried about how damp it will be in their coop & we have a cold snap comming this weekend. I haven't given them any supplemental heat yet this winter & I didn't plan to either.
    So should I put on some heat via a lamp or just leave them wet?

2. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Anyone???? Its dark out now & temps are dropping!

3. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    The outside feathers can be pretty wet while the downy feathers near the skin are dry. Wet chickens seem to fluff up in the coop and dry out pretty quickly. If being in the rain didn't bother them, don't let it bother you.

4. cparian

cparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Personally I would add a heat lamp. I would worry about them being wet & cold through the night. I put a heat lamp on mine last night because they had all been outside playing in the rain all day. This morning all were dry & warm.

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I would dry them off. I've read too many posts about wet birds going to bed and the ones on the end who couldn't get warmth from other birds end up dead. Not worth it. Give them some warm love.

6. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    chickensickles!

I remember mine about 2 weeks ago when the AZ weather dropped into the 30's. They just huddled up together. It's funny, some roost laying on the perches, others stand up all night long. Some on one foot, others on 2 feet. Some tuck their heads under their wings, some huddle under another's flanks...

I just don't like to see the ones on the perch directly beneath others... you guessed it... "Bombs away!"

7. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Ok, dug out the brooder light & set it up, toasting chickens lightly, will check them in an hr to make sure no one is broiling.

8. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I really don't think it is necessary! Mine get wet and dry off all the time- and I'm sure our weather is about the same. The shavings get wet, in those conditions-with the wet feet coming and going. I add extra ventilation and some dry shavings. By morning, all is well.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I love my chickens to have a 100 watt bulb when it goes down to freezing. They live on a hill, with very windy conditions at times, and the Pacific NW dampness. Also, my coops are uninsulated.

I woke up this a.m. at around 5, went outside, and turned on their lights as I realized with horror that it was around 28-30 degrees and I hadn't left their lights on the night before. The ground was even crunchy. I don't want them to suffer. Yes they will survive the cold, but it is painful.

I know that your chickens were grateful for the warmth.

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Good chicken mama!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by