wet chickens

mommabs

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 29, 2013
It rained a lot here in Oklahoma. .more to come. And I went and checked on my girls and they were all out there and totally wet. They coulda been inside their coop dry. Will they get sick or anything from being wet and somewhat cool rite now??

They will be fine. If you a lot of ventilation in the coop like open windows you might want to close them 1/2 way to keep it a bit warmer but don't close up everything tight.

My girls can go into a nice warm dry coop when it rains also but they would rather stand under a tree with their tails down. They've been around for a long time and they (sometimes) know best.

My chickens generally don't come in out of the rain. They have a nice, dry coop and run. If it rains, they usually just carry on with whatever they were doing.

In a light rain, they might take a break under the dense bushes around the yard. If it gets to be too much, they hole up in the garage. At times, they look rather pathetic all wet, but dry out over time and don't seem any worse for the wear.

Chris

Thank you for asking this. My hubby made fun of me this weekend because I put the girls in the coop/run because it was raining. They had been out free ranging. He said that he saw the hens at the neighbor's farm out in the rain and laughed because I didn't think our girls should be out getting wet. From now on I'll let them be out and leave the door open so if they decide to go in, they can. We have a covered run and coop, so there is always a dry spot for them.

Well I figured they would have gone in too. It was really heavy rains and lighting and thunder, But they didn't care I guess. Their run is open but we put a tarp over to help w flooding but still flooded so they were all muddy too. This morning they r their dry fluffy selves again. Lol so I guess they know best.

Back
Top Bottom