WET COOP Floor HELP!!!!!!!!!

HydroLock, a concrete like waterproofing product, will work better
than caulk. It will set up on wet surfaces, too. Caution: it sets really fast, like in 3-5 minutes.
You could use this on the exterior base of the walls where they meet the pad.
Or, if things finally dry out, roofing tar (Karnak) will work, also.
Tom:D

Last edited:
Here's the pics hope they come out okay, my hubby broke my camera when he went deep sea fishing...

9426_dscn0729.jpg

9426_dscn0728.jpg

9426_dscn0723.jpg

OOOOOOH, I see! Well, without a roof over the stemwalls and slab,
you could build a raised floor inside the coop out of used pallets
and plywood to keep the chicken's feet dry.
Then your shavings or straw on top.
Tom
big_smile.png

Yeah I think that is the best option too....I know it was hard to explain....I still have a few things let to do this weekend to make it work.....the only problem is if I move those pieces of wood, there will be nothing there, so should I still stack with hay bales along the bottom edge????

Sandbags or burlap bags filled with sand might be better, and you can put them down without waiting for things to dry out...
Looking at the first pic again, maybe you could cut a hole into the slab to make a sump pit for a small sump pump. Or elbow out to the edge of the slab and drain down to the outside
If poured correctly, garage floor slabs are supposed to pitch down to the garage door end. Evidently, this is not the case.
Tom
big_smile.png

Last edited:
If it were me I would rent either a jackhammer or the kind of saw that they use to cut cement, and rip drainage channels into the slab around the base of your coop (carefully checking the pitch of the channels' bottoms with a good level to make sure they will direct the water away). It will be loud and good exercise, but it should work pretty well (I'd slap some sealer into the channels after they're cut and cleaned).

When/if you eventually cover the entire slab with more coop, you can always fill in the channels with gravel or with patching cement, no problemo.

Good luck,

Pat

You may want to try some kind of gutter for the coop roof. It looks like most of your water is probably coming off of the coop.
If you could catch that water in a barrel, or just downspout it off of the edge of the slab, that may take care of enough water to solve the problem.

Yeah thanks all for your ideas and helpful hints, me and hubby are thinking that we will use pallats, and then put down sheetrock to make and elevated floor, hopfully that will do the trick, this first coop was pretty much built for $0 since we had all the scarp wood from the previous owners we didn't want to let it rot, so we cobbed together a coop and we wanted to be sure we liked chickens now that we do we will probably build a real barn after I finish college next year.....

There's a concrete attachment you can get for a heavy-duty drill that wil cut a drainage hole and you can mortar a shower drain into the opening. That would continue to provide rodent protection whilst draining excess water...

we used them in our barn floor years ago to improve the drainage. Now this assumes you have sufficient gravel drainage underneath, and when you re-install your planks they'll stay nice and dry.

It's been very wet here, too, we were lucky to finish our run before it got bad...sorry you're having such difficulty

Back
Top Bottom