WET COOP Floor HELP!!!!!!!!!

shangri-lafarms

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
NY-Upstate Adirondacks
Okay it's been raining here in NY like everyday, the problem is this, My hubby and I built the coop back in the spring over top of a cement pad that was already in place from the precious owners, it was going to be a boat garage or something, well it has walls three cinder blocks high so I figured it would be great predator protection, so the floor is cement, the problem is there really is no drainage we didn't utilize the whole pad, since that would have cost more money and ook forever to build, plus I am planning on using the other spaces to build a second coop for breeding or whatever...so now the floor is really wet because the bottom of the coop is open, we used wood to close it off but water comes right through it, we didn't want to put up a permanent base with cinder blocks and caulk, so hopefully you understand what I am saying since now I am rambling.....I just need to know what to do about the wetness, hubby says to stack hay bales around the outside of the coop and replace as needed, and try different beddings to soak up the wet that's already there then keep stacking hay bales around the outside and
barnie.gif
what does anyone think

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking about that too.....It was our first time and we figured that the cement floor would prevent mud, well it did until the monsoon rains....and now we wish we built it over the dirt....oh well live and learn....Part of the coop stays dry and the other half wet, it does dry out, the problem is then as soon as it dries it rains again....
he.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif

I would have to agree, replace the wood, caulk the bottom and ends where they meet the cinder blocks. Make sure the concrete is dry before you caulk so it will hold. that should keep the water out of the coop floor.

We used an existing structure as our coop. We're still making conversions. Our building has a dirt floor. It's pretty dusty to clean it out but other than that it seems ok. We're putting on a sheet metal roof to eliminate a few minor leaks. We're also learning as we go.

Most concrete pads have high places and low places. If you can relocate the coop to a higher place, it may help. I've seen water come into buildings through some weird places. A caulker once told me that in a driving wind water can climb a structure vertically up to 10 inches. Based on what I've seen glazing, I believe him. Erecting barriers rarely helps, unless they are leakproof and deflect the water to an appropriate drain. Sometimes starting over from scratch is the only way to control a leak, but I hope you can fix it easily.

So, basically, it's like your coop is built inside a shallow swimming pool? I think it would help a lot if you could post a picture. How big is this area? Can you tarp it, to keep the rain out?

Will you be building over the entire area, so that this is only a temporary problem? If this is going to be an ongoing problem, can you raise your coop up on blocks or bricks now? How big is your coop?

I'd hate for your coop walls to rot. Otherwise, caulk and a raised floor may get you by temporarily.

Back
Top Bottom