Wet ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JStark, Apr 17, 2009.

1. JStark

JStark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Well, not soaking, but my ducklings often are wet down their chests. I'm curious, because they seem happy otherwise, are they just dribbling down their chests when the drink? Or, is something else going on here?

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Hmmm maybe little duckie bibs?? LOL I don't know, mine are wet all the time. If there is water they will play in it. If there isn't water, I think they spit all over each other!

3. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Quote:It Does Seem so!

4. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think it is an issue but just make sure they are not getting chilled.

My ducklings are always wet and so is their brooder area. As soon as I clean it out and put fresh water in they are drinking and splashing it everywhere.

5. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    As far as ducks go, I think there is more of a problem if they are DRY lol.

I had to start using peleted horse bedding b/c they would completely soak through everything else I used at the first MINUTE of a clean waterbowl!

The pelleted bedding is a very fine compressed sawdust that seems to fuluff up as it gets wet, and keeps the moisture content down better.

Happy ducks are WET ducks!

6. Deedee

Deedee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Kilgore, TX
    Where do I find this pellet bedding? I needed it a month ago. [​IMG]

7. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    [​IMG] Yeah, ducks got to have and love that water..

Like the one poster stated, clean your brooder out and 2 mins. you can't tell it...[​IMG]

8. JStark

JStark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    These are all great answers! I'm still worried about all the poop (just for purposes of keeping things clean for them), but I'll be okay about their getting wet. Thanks, folks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by