Wet Feather VS Molt

Crazy Duck Lover

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Southern United States 🇺🇸
DDEDD868-D796-4610-8105-F5DFCF3FBD12.jpeg
I have noticed a change in my duck feathers and am wondering if it’s wet feather or a molt. My ducks are 7 1/2 months old and have never had an obvious health issues. Egg laying has stopped for the most part (I’m only getting one egg a day) so that makes me wanna think it’s a molt. I’ll attach some pictures but right now the ducks want nothing to do with me.

Attachments

• 9706C825-3EF6-43B8-BFD5-7803888D3702.png
    9706C825-3EF6-43B8-BFD5-7803888D3702.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
When they get in water, is the water still rolling off? It is the time of year for molting. You should see loose feathers in their area.
😱Water is NOT running off the blue runners back! What do I do?

Something else to note: Water IS running down the birds stomach, but just not down the back. - About 2 weeks ago I was starting to notice feathers lying around

Last edited:
If it is wet feather, take a warm cloth and clean the preening gland. I did this for a couple of days two times a day.This has done the trick for me. If really dirty, you can try some soap - but only on the preening gland, not the whole duck. But, when they have wet feather you have to remove all swimming water and make it so that drinking water is only available. Once the preening gland is clean the feathers will be coated with oil again and you can reintroduce swim water. This can take days to weeks depending on their condition. Their feathers will not improve as much until a molt.
It's happened to a muscovy duck of mine, and they love to play in mud. Generally it's due to a clogged preening gland from dirt and mud, so the technique above will work.

https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2016/02/treating-and-preventing-wet-feather-in.html

If it is wet feather, take a warm cloth and clean the preening gland. I did this for a couple of days two times a day.This has done the trick for me. If really dirty, you can try some soap - but only on the preening gland, not the whole duck. But, when they have wet feather you have to remove all swimming water and make it so that drinking water is only available. Once the preening gland is clean the feathers will be coated with oil again and you can reintroduce swim water. This can take days to weeks depending on their condition. Their feathers will not improve as much until a molt.
It's happened to a muscovy duck of mine, and they love to play in mud. Generally it's due to a clogged preening gland from dirt and mud, so the technique above will work.

https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2016/02/treating-and-preventing-wet-feather-in.html
Thank you! Does it seem like wet feather to you?

I really can't tell by the pics only by what you are stating. Wet feather is caused by not being able to oil the feathers up. The oil comes from the preening gland. It won't hurt to check to see if the gland is dirty.

Back
Top Bottom