Wet Feathered Muscovy

Duck_Duck_Goose

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
My Pekin definitely lives up to that ‘like water off a ducks back’ example however my Muscovy does not; her feathers get completely drenched through. They could both be in the pool, one of which is chlorinated although they prefer their little ‘kiddie’ pool, and he comes out clean and fluffy as can be while she looks water-logged, her feathers completely soaked. I know Muscovy oil glands aren’t as productive as a Pekin’s so despite all her preening she probably doesn’t have as much as he does to coat herself but I’m wondering if there could be something else going on? Their feed is Mazuri Waterfowl pellets along with an array of fruits, veggies and kitty kibbles as ‘treats’. Maybe some type of nutrient deficiency? Although the pool is not over chlorinated might it be that?
UPDATE: When she was preening herself last evening I got a clear view of her oil gland where there appeared to be a darker, thicker color and consistency (maybe a little ‘clumped’). When I tried to find it again on my own to get a closer look and better assessment I couldn’t find it again and she soon lost patience with me. If it IS clogged recommendations for clearing?

Last edited:
Muscovy aren't a water duck like a pekin is. For the most part muscovy takes baths, where mallard based breeds will live on water if allowed. It makes sense if you think about where muscovy are from and the hazards in the waters in south America.

Do you have any pictures? It definitely may be normal, as Oldhen mentioned. Is she pure white by any chance? Of my two Muscovies (big sample size, haha), my pied Muscovy repels water as well as her Rouen sisters while her pure white sister does not do as well. She’s never had wet feather, but her feathers are softer and fluffier rather than the solid “feather armor suit” that the others have. Her feather quality is still good, just different.

Do you have any pictures? It definitely may be normal, as Oldhen mentioned. Is she pure white by any chance? Of my two Muscovies (big sample size, haha), my pied Muscovy repels water as well as her Rouen sisters while her pure white sister does not do as well. She’s never had wet feather, but her feathers are softer and fluffier rather than the solid “feather armor suit” that the others have. Her feather quality is still good, just different.
No pictures at the moment but just imagine a completely feather soaked hen. She’s Black body with a white head. She’s approx 10 mos old and this is a fairly recent development. She seems otherwise fine with no sign of parasites and housing is clean.

As far as clearing a clogged oil gland, you can take a warm cloth and apply it to the oil gland repeat a couple of times and do it for 2-3 days. That usually does the trick, but if you need to do more and not see the gland cleared, you can work in some dawn dish soap. With muscovy the oil gland can get clogged because they like muddy water and don't bathe as much as their duck peers.
You will want to take away all bathing water for a week or so and only leave water that would be deep enough for the duck to dip its head in.

As far as clearing a clogged oil gland, you can take a warm cloth and apply it to the oil gland repeat a couple of times and do it for 2-3 days. That usually does the trick, but if you need to do more and not see the gland cleared, you can work in some dawn dish soap. With muscovy the oil gland can get clogged because they like muddy water and don't bathe as much as their duck peers.
You will want to take away all bathing water for a week or so and only leave water that would be deep enough for the duck to dip its head in.
For myself, I remember people saying to wash the bird well in Dawn Dishwashing soap. Then withhold bathing water for 4-5 days till they preen the oil back into their coats. Is that usually enough, or do you have to limp by till they molt and get totally new feathers? And do Muscovies molt twice a year? Sorry, I only have Runners and Calls, so far....LOL

My solid white Muscovy use to get wet feathers towards the end of summer and kept it until molt then their feather were waterproof again. I have not had that problem in my Muscovy I have now none are solid white either. I don't know if color of feathers has anything to do with it but of all the muscovy I've had over the years only my solid white with blue eyes had wet feather. Muscovy may have a min molt during the year before they have their big one in the fall but it's so mini I never see any feathers from them.

For myself, I remember people saying to wash the bird well in Dawn Dishwashing soap. Then withhold bathing water for 4-5 days till they preen the oil back into their coats. Is that usually enough, or do you have to limp by till they molt and get totally new feathers? And do Muscovies molt twice a year? Sorry, I only have Runners and Calls, so far....LOL
That's pretty much what I posted. 🙂
Muscovies molt once a year. Mine usually molt the end of summer and beginning of fall. Some of mine are molting now.

Thanks Everyone,
She’s an indoor(house)/outdoor(patio) duck so don’t think that muddy, dirty feathers are the cause and she loves her little kiddie pool so maybe it’s a seasonal thing? Time, and a good molt, will hopefully tell.

Back
Top Bottom