1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wet feed...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jeffross1968, May 26, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Bit new to the chicken thing. Today we had a wicked storm, and while I had their feeder covered, the rain must have been coming sideways. When I looked in, the feed got wet. Is this an issue, at least prior to molding? The way they eat, it would probably be gone before it got moldy, but wanted to know if there were any issues leaving the feed in there and letting them finish it...

Thanks!

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    keep an eye on it... can you scoop the wet stuff off the top and just spread it out to dry?

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It's OK, if it is eaten before it molds. The water won't hurt it. Some people have even wetted the feed down, like mash.
    If there is the slightest chance it could mold, then either freeze it before it molds or throw it away. Mold can kill.

Imp- Is wetted a real word?

4. GA Dad - Chicken Man

GA Dad - Chicken Man Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Stockbridge, GA
    Same thing happened here... Can I put medicated chick starter in the oven on low to dry it out?[​IMG]

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Freezing excess wet feed sounds like a great ides. Divide it into manageable amounts and use it up. Really good plan, I'll remember that one if I encounter it. My birds go thru feed fairly quickly so not too concerned at this time but fall snow can be a issue

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:This sounds OK to me. Might be kind of hard to handle wet. warm oven (might stink up the house) dehydrator, heat lamp, etc.

Imp

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:wetted- past tense of wet (Verb)
    1. Cover or touch with liquid; moisten: "he wet a finger"

To the OP... I wouldn't risk it, personally.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  8. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    It's been raining here for about a month. every day the girls pellets would get soaked, but they ate them anyway. Actually, I think they liked them better mushed up. They didn't let it stay in the feeder long enough to get moldy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by