Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
1,130
15
191
Smoky Mountains
Bit new to the chicken thing. Today we had a wicked storm, and while I had their feeder covered, the rain must have been coming sideways. When I looked in, the feed got wet. Is this an issue, at least prior to molding? The way they eat, it would probably be gone before it got moldy, but wanted to know if there were any issues leaving the feed in there and letting them finish it...

Thanks!
 

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
5,929
31
251
keep an eye on it... can you scoop the wet stuff off the top and just spread it out to dry?
 

Imp

All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
14,453
169
318
The Emerald City
My Coop
It's OK, if it is eaten before it molds. The water won't hurt it. Some people have even wetted the feed down, like mash.
If there is the slightest chance it could mold, then either freeze it before it molds or throw it away. Mold can kill.

Imp- Is wetted a real word?
 

bryan99705

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
1,470
12
131
North Pole, Alaska 99705
Freezing excess wet feed sounds like a great ides. Divide it into manageable amounts and use it up. Really good plan, I'll remember that one if I encounter it. My birds go thru feed fairly quickly so not too concerned at this time but fall snow can be a issue
 

Imp

All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
14,453
169
318
The Emerald City
My Coop
Quote:This sounds OK to me. Might be kind of hard to handle wet. warm oven (might stink up the house) dehydrator, heat lamp, etc.

Imp
 

PepsNick

Back to Business
9 Years
May 9, 2010
5,212
18
241
Egglanta, GA
Quote:wetted- past tense of wet (Verb)
1. Cover or touch with liquid; moisten: "he wet a finger"


To the OP... I wouldn't risk it, personally.
 
Last edited:

dragonlair

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
568
10
151
Maine
It's been raining here for about a month. every day the girls pellets would get soaked, but they ate them anyway. Actually, I think they liked them better mushed up. They didn't let it stay in the feeder long enough to get moldy!
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom