wet feet

lhammond

Chirping
Apr 5, 2015
Could anyone tell me if chickens will have a problem if I have a seasonally wet back yard? If they free range or are penned in over soggy grass will it bother them? Thanks

Thanks you so much. I really LOVE how so many people know so much about backyard chickens!

I'd put sand in the run, use a 4-6" pressure treated board around base to hold in 3" of sand. They'll turn the grass to mud in no time so might as well build it to combat the water from the get go. They 'll love dust bathing in it too.

So glad I found this thread. We are having flooding here in Oregon and my poor girls run is a lake. They roam free most of the day, but I feel really bad they can't go in the run to get out of the downpour. They do not seem to like being in there at all when it is this wet. I was worried it might be bad for their feet. Their coop where they spend the night is nice and dry.

Rain, rain rain! Everyday here in Texas (we don't get to

say that often) and I'm worried about my chickens (who may now think they are ducks) Is walking on the wet muddy ground for days on end bad for them? Any suggestions for the run that I can do in between storms? I tried sand in a 10x10 section and now it's just a muddy mess too. Their run is 40x40.

When my girls run got flooded out this winter, my husband found some pallets and put them in the run and then covered those with green outdoor carpet like stuff. It worked great and lengthened feet dry.

Back
Top Bottom