Wet hen on a cold night

newchck

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Midwest
My hen, Big Girl got her face / beard quite wet in the first snow today. I tried drying her off but couldn't get it dried very well. It is supposed to be about 26 degrees tonight. Will she be okay? She can cuddle up with the 4 others in the coop but I am still worried about her. (first winter with chickens if you can't tell) :)

My hen, Big Girl got her face / beard quite wet in the first snow today. I tried drying her off but couldn't get it dried very well. It is supposed to be about 26 degrees tonight. Will she be okay? She can cuddle up with the 4 others in the coop but I am still worried about her. (first winter with chickens if you can't tell) :)
You need to take this bird inside and use a hairdryer to get her TOTALLY dry. A wet hen is at risk for frostbite.

I agree that a hair dryer isn't so stressful for them. I've done it multiple times with ease. (Watch out for.them pooping inside though) :barnie
my husband is going to love this (not) lol! They have never pooed on me, but as babies they pooped on him daily :lau Luckily it is his favorite chicken :)

I agree that a hair dryer isn't so stressful for them. I've done it multiple times with ease. (Watch out for.them pooping inside though) :barnie
Another reason to wrap them in a towel haha

I'll have to figure out at which point I should intervene because my girls sleep in the trees and have tiny combs anyway.

She is not even close to this wet today, but this was her not too long ago when the weather was warmer. She loves the rain :gigI think she must just dunk her face into puddles, we are working on getting our run covered.

Attachments

• IMG_2791.JPG
    IMG_2791.JPG
    723 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom