Wet hen on a cold night

newchck

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
Midwest
My hen, Big Girl got her face / beard quite wet in the first snow today. I tried drying her off but couldn't get it dried very well. It is supposed to be about 26 degrees tonight. Will she be okay? She can cuddle up with the 4 others in the coop but I am still worried about her. (first winter with chickens if you can't tell) :)

WindingRoad

Songster
Nov 21, 2018
Maine
My hen, Big Girl got her face / beard quite wet in the first snow today. I tried drying her off but couldn't get it dried very well. It is supposed to be about 26 degrees tonight. Will she be okay? She can cuddle up with the 4 others in the coop but I am still worried about her. (first winter with chickens if you can't tell) :)
You need to take this bird inside and use a hairdryer to get her TOTALLY dry. A wet hen is at risk for frostbite.

newchck

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
Midwest
You need to take this bird inside and use a hairdryer to get her TOTALLY dry. A wet hen is at risk for frostbite.
okay,thanks! I was worried that the stress of the hairdryer would make her more susceptible to illness . I will do this once my husband gets home.

newchck

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
Midwest
I agree that a hair dryer isn't so stressful for them. I've done it multiple times with ease. (Watch out for.them pooping inside though) :barnie
my husband is going to love this (not) lol! They have never pooed on me, but as babies they pooped on him daily :lau Luckily it is his favorite chicken :)

newchck

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
Midwest
She is not even close to this wet today, but this was her not too long ago when the weather was warmer. She loves the rain :gigI think she must just dunk her face into puddles, we are working on getting our run covered.

Attachments

Top Bottom