WET HEN

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
Does anyone subscribe to the "dunk in water" method of stopping a broody pullet ? I have used the isolation cage method twice now and is REALLY hard for me to watch her in "Chicken jail" besides she has a crack in here beak that is almost healed and we think she may cracked it in "jail" the first time in the slammer by raking it across the bars. She was VERY unhappy about being in there and used her beak in protest. FYI it's in the 80's here at night so she won't be cold long if I were to try the "dunk method" and we use the deep litter method so she could dry quickly.

I just visit and remove them from the nest a few times a day, make sure they have nothing to sit on, and wait them out. I can’t do broody jail. Too sad.

Might work, be careful not to use freezing cold water or it could throw her into shock.

Had you broken her successfully (twice?) using the crate?

Apparently not completely broke her as she is broody yet again. It takes 3- 4 days to do it...I would jail her out side again but we are experiencing some rough weather and predicted to last until Sunday. We don't have a pet type carrie so thought we would try the water method.

We have a 20x30 inch "bunny cage" she has been in on her prior incarcerations....her last stint in jail we noticed a crack down the middle of her beak. This last time in jail she would actually rake her beak on the wire "bars" as she growled at me whenever I came near and we think that may be how it got cracked.

Back
Top Bottom