Wet hens... is it okay?

kimmybow

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Boxborough
It's really rainy here. Their coop is pretty water tight. They have all day access to their run - is it okay that they are getting wet? Like, how wet is too wet? Will they freeze at night if it gets cold? They are probably okay, but just checking...

Thanks!

They have an oil gland just above their tail they use to get oil on their feathers.. When they shake off, the excess water will be removed... They will be fine... They've lived for thousands of year (in the rain, snow, wind, etc) without anyone drying them off with a towel... lol

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Where is here? The rain is drier in some places than others. We just get the dry rain here in NY. But our snow is wetter than Alaska.

Seriously I wouldn't let them get too wet before bed time but if it's dry in the coop and they have a chance to shake off excess water they should be fine.

I wish you the best,

Rancher

sorry for the joke, well not really, just hope you are ok.
big_smile.png

Thanks! Just checking in - figured they were okay, I worry sometimes
roll.png

I am from Mass - I think we get the same rain you do in NY
big_smile.png

Quote:
What I like to do is to offer range shelters. They don't like to stand around inside the coop on rainy days, and so if you give them an inventive place to stand outside, they will use it sometimes.

Examples are as follows:

tarps
pallets off the ground with concrete blocks under
log piles off the ground with room to crouch under
a pallet leaning against a building.

We get a lot of rain here. I don't like them to be wet all day when it is cold.

Back
Top Bottom