Wet Nest with Intact egg

eggcatcher

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
hmm.png
Ok maybe I'm obcessed with this wet nest problem and it's normal i don't know. I usually get eggs in a nice dry nest. I regularly check my nests and change material as needed. Today I had a big beautiful totally intact egg in a wet nest. No poop. No bad smell. No broken shell, sign of yolk, or left over white it was too thin not sticky enough to be the white of the egg left over. Can there be enough other liquid dispelled with the egg to leave the nest wet? I cleaned out the nest and put something in the nest to keep the girls from using that one for a while. Is this normal? Is this a sign of a problem? I was concerned I had an egg eater and challenged them by putting an egg I had written a black X on and left it there for a day, it was left intact. From what I've heard about egg eater one who has a habit of eating eggs wouldn't have passed that up. Thanks for your wisdom.

I don't have any idea what the wetness could be. Very strange! I would think if it were a broken egg you could tell from the feel or color. I am bumping this up, hoping someone else can help you.
hmm.png

I have had eggs broken when hens are shuffling around to get comfy before they lay. Occasionally a shell will be thinner than others and doesn't stand up to the activity. The hen will clean this up pretty well before she leaves. It's possible you had one break in the nest, and they ate it before you got there.

If that is what happened sounds like I don't have to worry about an "eggeater" because it happens rarely and not all eggs are eaten. They only eat it if the egg is broken???? Am I understanding this correctly?

Back
Top Bottom