Wet or dry?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheChickenQueen, Oct 17, 2014.

1. TheChickenQueen

TheChickenQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    I got an incubator a few days ago and I have been putting it through a test run. And I have been collecting eggs for the last few days from my flock and I would like to set them tomorrow. Now my question is that for a first timer which method would be best for hatching? Wet or dry?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I always do "wet" hatches. I've never tried the dry hatching, so I can't say from personal experience whether it works as well (or better), or not. For the first eighteen days of incubation, I keep the humidity at 50-60% (55% is best). During the last three days and through hatching, I have the humidity at 60-70%. This has worked well for me, producing several 100% hatches.

3. TheChickenQueen

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Ok, I think I'll do that.

4. TheChickenQueen

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Another question. The eggs I am using are from my pullets and some are a bit smaller then the others, but not fairy eggs.

Can I still hatch these?

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, you can. However, it is usually better to hatch eggs when they get a little larger, after pullets have laid for a while. Smaller eggs will hatch smaller chicks, which sometimes have more trouble. With that said, I've hatched pullet eggs before, with good results.

6. TheChickenQueen

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    They've been laying for awhile [​IMG] I gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by