Wet Oyster Shell

StarryEyzz

Songster
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
336
11
111
Granite Falls, WA
Does it matter if the Oyster Shell gets wet from the rain? I poured off the water and a few seemed to still eat it. Just wondering if its still beneficial when its water logged?
hmm.png
 

NatJ

Free Ranging
Mar 20, 2017
8,145
16,973
706
USA
I think my big can is going mildewy. Is there anything I can do to save it, or must I discard it?
Oyster shell is pretty cheap, so it may not be worth the effort of cleaning it.

Spreading it in the sun to dry for a while might get rid of the mildew, but I'm not sure.

If I really wanted to clean it well, I would put the oyster shell in a jar with water and some bleach (chlorine bleach), then close the jar and shake vigorously for a while. This should make all the pieces rub against each other to scrub themselves clean. After a while, pour off the bleach water and rinse thoroughly with fresh water, several times until it no longer smells like bleach. Then spread it in the sun to dry.

I'm quite sure the oyster shell would be fine for chickens after that, but I also think it would be more bother than it's worth ;)
 

Chickin Out

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2015
98
140
161
Oyster shell is pretty cheap, so it may not be worth the effort of cleaning it.

Spreading it in the sun to dry for a while might get rid of the mildew, but I'm not sure.

If I really wanted to clean it well, I would put the oyster shell in a jar with water and some bleach (chlorine bleach), then close the jar and shake vigorously for a while. This should make all the pieces rub against each other to scrub themselves clean. After a while, pour off the bleach water and rinse thoroughly with fresh water, several times until it no longer smells like bleach. Then spread it in the sun to dry.

I'm quite sure the oyster shell would be fine for chickens after that, but I also think it would be more bother than it's worth ;)
Funny, I was thinking along the exact same lines of a bleach rinse, then clean water rinses, then put in the sun. But I was hoping you knew of some kind of shortcut, lol. Because I also thought maybe it was too much work. But the problem is it is a very large can of it that the cover was left off by accident and rain hit. Thank you for this detailed advice.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom