Wet Pox Advice Needed!!

One of my black sumatra hens has wet pox.
hit.gif
I am really sad but I do have hope that what I am doing is going to get rid of it. what I am doing to get rid of it is I have some tweezers I try to pull out the yellow growths them I get a Q-tip and cover that with iodine and also I am giving her some antibiotics along with it. I pulled out a huge chunk of it. yuck was so gross.
th.gif

Last edited:
One of my black sumatra hens has wet pox.
hit.gif
I am really sad but I do have hope that what I am doing is going to get rid of it. what I am doing to get rid of it is I have some tweezers I try to pull out the yellow growths them I get a Q-tip and cover that with iodine and also I am giving her some antibiotics along with it. I pulled out a huge chunk of it. yuck was so gross.
th.gif

I've been giving mine Baytril. Some are getting better, some are not. Here is a thread I started, please feel free to join and post your experience and pictures.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...x-xxx-rated-graphic-pictures-of-pus-and-scabs

-Kathy

Has anyone on here used the fowl pox vaccine for their chickens? How many times do you give it for coverage, and do you have to give booster shots every year?

I had a turkey with avian pox, took her to a bird vet, she gave me Mercurochrome and we put it on the spots, she healed up real fast, she said it has to run its coarse and spray for Mosquitos hope that helps

I had a turkey with avian pox, took her to a bird vet, she gave me Mercurochrome and we put it on the spots, she healed up real fast, she said it has to run its coarse and spray for Mosquitos hope that helps

The dry pox is like that, just dab a little something on the scabs and they get better, but the wet pox is much harder to deal with. Thanks for sharing.

-Kathy

Last edited:

The dry pox is like that, just dab a little something on the scabs and they get better, but the wet pox is much harder to deal with. Thanks for sharing.

-Kathy

Kathy is so right. Wet pox is a BEAST!!! Dry pox is a cake walk.

To be honest, we have had three birds get wet pox after one of our hens showed signs for dry. All three hens, two bantams and a standard, pulled through with no issues of them being suffocated. We kept them in the house and gave them the clavamox that the vet gave us and all made it. Afterwards, we vaccinated the whole flock, except those who had already gotten the pox because once they get it, they're immune. Once they are immune to it, it will also cross over into the different strains and they will be protected from more than one strain of this disease. If you work with your chicken and give it a couple of weeks with the proper medication, your bird should be fine. I would still recommend vaccinating the rest of your birds to prevent any further cases, but some may arise in the vaccination. This is because the vaccine is a weakened form of the disease. The chickens will probably get dry pox, or nothing at all, but if you see any more signs of wet, you just bring those birds in for care and they should be able to pull through, too, with the proper care. I hope this helps a little.

Oh my goodness - not more trouble!!
th.gif
You really have been through a lot - mites, CRD, possible coryza.. now wet pox too!
hide.gif

Either you have the worst luck or your birds are really compromised from the sicknesses passing through the flock. I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm wondering if culling them would be best then you can clean everything out and then start fresh with healthy birds..

However if you want to continue treating (which I can totally understand but I just feel so bad for all you've had to go through!!) - you need to iodine the lesions and you will need to remove them or they will grow and eventually prevent the bird from eating and/or breathing. It is painful to have them removed so take it slow but it has to be done. And you may need to help the bird eat/drink.

Good luck and keep us updated!
PLEASE! Tell me how to remove the scabs without killing the bird! The pox has covered her nostrils and she is struggling to breathe! It's painful to watch! I tried to flick off the scab but it's rock solid stuck!

PLEASE! Tell me how to remove the scabs without killing the bird! The pox has covered her nostrils and she is struggling to breathe! It's painful to watch! I tried to flick off the scab but it's rock solid stuck!

Hi @juniebug8 Welcome To BYC:frow

You have found a very old thread. The person you are quoting hasn't been logged in since 2014.

We will be glad to help you on this thread or you can start a new one if you wish.

If you can give us more information about your specific problem(s), we will be happy to try to give you some suggestions.
Photos of your birds and their condition/illness are always very helpful.
Where are you located?
How old are you chickens?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
Describe the symptoms you see.
Tell us about what type of treatment, if any, you have tried and/or are currently administering to the birds.

Back
Top Bottom