WET SAND IN THE COOP

Chick N Momma

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Valatie, NY
PLEASE HELP WITH WET SAND IN THE COOP!

I don't see anyone with this issue...so I'm hoping that SOMEONE will know what to do
barnie.gif

After reading ALL the raves about using sand in the chicken coop, we had 2 cu. yds delivered - 1 for the coop and 1 to use in the run. As we were shoveling the sand into the coop, we noticed that it was wet. Since I hadn't read any information that indicated that we had to DRY the sand, we tossed in about 1 1/2" of the sand in the coop. This morning it stinks to HIGH HEAVEN!
hu.gif
It's still wet. Should I have waited til the sand dried? If so, how would I get it to dry? It's a large pile of wet sand!? PLEASE HELP!
bow.gif

Will sweet PDZ help dry out the sand quickly!?

Thanks!

That's why I don't use sand. It stays humid here year round and if it started wet, it would stay wet.

Make sure it stays under roof to keep rain from re-wetting it.
You could run a space heater in the coop. Elevating the temperature will allow more evaporation. Keep spreading it around. The only part that will dry is the top layer.

Last edited:
Sand went in my coops as soon as I finished um. But it was dry and it stays dry. The only spot that will get moist is when an egg is dropped from the roost without the shell. I'll have to take out all the wet area but I like the sand and won't use anything else. But I do clean every day. I don't let any poop or anything else stay. Every morning that my chore, clean out the poop and anything else that may be left for me.

I had sand get wet once on accident and after couple of days of turning it over it dried out. also putting heater or fan in would speed up the process as well

I'm one that raves about sand. I love it. I scoop like kitty litter box and I turn and mix it up and it dries up nicely. I also mix in DE and sweet PDZ. At first I was getting too much rain run off from the roof. It was moist and compacted down by my walking in it. I finally turned the sand and aaaaargh, there was the odor. I was horrified. I fixed the roof drainage problem, mixed up all the sand an freshend with some more PDZ. It dried up nicely. The chickens started dustbathing and all is well. Now, with some maintenance like turning and scooping, the sand stays dry and odor is a minimum to none. Next July will be a year, I plan to take out the old sand and put in fresh new sand. My coop is on concrete so I have to work this way. There's no place for liquid to go. But it's working for me. I learned my lesson about managing it and its now great.

I failed to mention that I have 12 chickens and 4 DUCKS living in this coop. The ducks, of course do all their night time pooping on the floor in the sand. I think it was a combination of that and only a small amount of sand. It's much better now, I added some PDZ and it helps it dry out.

Back
Top Bottom