Wet shavings

australorpchick

Songster
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Canyon Lake, TX
So I was able to get the new coop up last weekend and tied down a couple tarps before the rain hit this week. I'm trying the deep litter method and had just put down an entire bag of pine shavings. I wasn't able to build doors for the windows yet, so some of the shavings got wet. The chickies have a covered run, so they're outside most of the day and there's very little poop. Actually, the other day I just picked up the pieces (I wore gloves) and tossed them in a hole one of them was trying to dig under the coop. I'd hate to let fresh shavings go to waste. Any suggestions on what I can do with the wet shavings other than bag and toss?

What I have seen, if the amount is small, and they have dry spots to stay on, flip it and let it dry and it is fine. Hope this helps.
Ashlyn

You really need to be careful with leaving wet shavings down. Chickens are SO prone to respiratory issues, it's really best to not leave wet shavings in the coop.

Yup, just spread them out somewhere in the sun to dry (not anywhere too windy! A paved driveway would be ideal) and then when they are bone dry you can put them back in the coop. Assuming your coop itself is good 'n dry by then they will be totally fine.

Have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom