WetPox?

griffinheather

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Alexandria, LA
Hey ya'll! Was wondering what folks thought of this growth on my 8 week old baby chick. There are four chicks total and all have 'wart-like' growths on their beaks, now one has a spot on it's foot. They were all natuarlly hatched in the backyard and I feed them Dumor medicated starter for the first few weeks, now they're just on starter. None of my other chickens have any signs of these spots, just the four silkie mix chiks. The closest thing I can come up w/ is WetPox. Any ideas?

I have never seen pox on the feet before. On the second picture: is that lump on that birds tongue or what?? I just went through a bout of Pox here. Pox shows up on areas that lack feathers. When it turns into "wet pox", the lesions are internal. The first picture looks kind of like what my birds had (but your bird is much more extreme) - wet pox is difficult to deal with because the birds may catch respitory infections or may not be able to eat, drink, or breathe properly. I used iodine to dry up the pox marks around their faces and gave the birds lots of watermelon, bread, and yogurt so they would have soothing things to eat. I ordered some fowl pox vaccine from Jeffers ASAP and vaccinated my entire flock.
How are your birds acting? Eating, drinking, acting normal? When my birds had pox they were very huddly and obviously felt horrible.

Quote:
Ugh, good to know anyway in case I ever recieve a bird with pox on its feet and decide it's some form of incurable poultry cancer and freak out. I had no idea - I've never seen pox on the feet. What are you doing for your birds? I just decided to vaccinate my entire flock and keep extra vaccine on hand for the newly hatched. I had one single bird in quarantine earlier this year with the pox (new arrival). It never progressed into wet pox and she was easy enough to treat. I used baking soda paste on her pox and also iodine to dry those buggers up like I did for my kiddos when they had chicken pox, haha. I'd be willing to bet that a sulfur paste would be more than adequate as well.

I treated them with iodine, but mostly just let it run its course. My Cream Legbar hen had a big pox on one of her nostrils that seemed to be blocking it, but the other side was open. I looked in her mouth and it didn't seem to be affecting her mouth or throat significantly. I did put some iodine in their water, in addition to putting it on the sores. Their feet are looking much better now.

I decided against vaccinating the rest of the flock there. It definitely seems like it hit birds harder depending on the state of their immune system. Apparently the birds at the farm where I have my breeders had pox a couple of years ago. This current outbreak started with a cockerel who was lowest on the pecking order and spent too long hiding his head in a cinderblock, and thus not eating or exercising. By the time I got him isolated from the bullies (i.e., his brothers) he could hardly stand. And that's when he got the pox. (BTW, giving him food and water that he could reach and isolating him, as well as taking away his cinderblock, was enough to get his strength back and get him through the pox). Right next to that coop were my CLs, and they came down with it, too.

Back
Top Bottom