Wetting down the run?

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
It's getting to be summer time here in Sacramento, it's about 90 here in the shade. I was wondering how chickens do with a sprayed down run? I was going to wet down some of the run so it would be cooler, just curious if anybody else does this?

(I heard chickens stayed cool through their feet like dogs
smile.png
)

I will occasionally lightly dampen the run, which will give their dirt/sand some coolness. I think it is a good idea to do it, just don't do it too heavy. Keep them plenty of drinking water and shade and they should be fine. Also keep the soil loose so it makes it easy for them to dig them a hole to hunker down in.

Here we are always more worried about the opposite! Our runs are always full of mud and nasties that are better when dried out
lol.png

I have a sand floor in my coop/run. When it gets too dusty, I do water it down. Before I do this, I make sure that as much of the poop I can rake up with the kitty litter shovel has been done. Wet poop makes for a STINKY run!

We live where it constantly rains, especially this year. Chickens can tolerate a wet run but do not like it. It makes them love their coop!

We cannot help but have a wet run most of the time. I'd say if you decide to hose down your run make sure you have good drainage first because that water that runs off will be stinky as all get out.

Back
Top Bottom