We've been bamboozled! Gender help

And please excuse the horrible state of the coop. We have been hammered with fires all around us lately and have missed cleaning. It was done today!
Looks like maybe I need to watch and find out who is being a sassy plucker instead of thinking I have a roo. I appreciate everyone's comments and input!

So what else would cause damage like that to their backs? I have only seen it from breeding? Am I just misreading the situation? And then just "thought" I saw bullseyes because that is what my brain expected. lol

I thought I read somewhere that all eggs have white spots in them reguardless if there’s a rooster or not??
You're not wrong! Fertile eggs will have two clear rings of a bullseye, while infertile eggs just have a white dot.
download (3).jpg

The one on the right is fertile, the one on the left is not. Not my pic.

No scientific nethod for me here just my experience. There seems to be curling rooster feathers emerging on the tail. Also it is more uneven and less full than the others of the same breed. This chicken also has more wattle growth and a larger comb. I think I see pointy hackles. But I wouldn't say I am one hundred percent on this one being a roo without seeing it in action (i.e. attitude, walk, interaction)

I have had two flocks where a known pullet/hen has mounted other females, & the submissive female obediently squatted when the hen mounted her. The first instance was a flock of easter easter eggers at pol. Putting a rooster in with that flock immediately stopped the behavior. Currently have three large flocks, including a flock of sixty 2-year-old hens, and 2 roosters with the hens to help provide predator protection. I have several times noticed a rhode island red hen mounting another hen when neither rooster was nearby. The rir hen will usually corner a submissive hen and mount her when the submissive hen cannot escape. Its a dominance & hormonal thing. Not common but does happen. Your pullet may not stop the mounting behavior since you have no rooster. But with your girls all being at pol, their hormones are raging, and will hopefully calm down with time. But have no more worries; i concur with the others that you have all females.

Back
Top Bottom