We've lost a laying henny penny. Where could she be?

do not buy a single chick, very difficult integration.

I don't think she is under the shed, I think a predator has gotten her, often times with coyotes, the bird just disappears.

Mrs K

Thanks for replying! We wouldn't buy just one chick. I don't even think the farm would ship a single chick. I just meant that I'd make sure we got at least one of the same breed so our daughter could have another Salome (Sail) baby.

I'm not sure if a predator took her, at least not a coyote. We found sign of coyotes on our property when we moved in, and have heard them at night far away over the mountains. With our four big guard dogs patrolling the property, I don't think the coyotes would dare come too close now. Plus, we are outside 100% of the time when the chickens are free ranging and never let them leave our sight unless they go back into their coop, or in this case go under the shed; no coyotes living under the shed! Ha.

Did you ever find her?

Not yet, sadly. I'm thinking she is gone for good. I'm planning to purchase maybe 10 new chicks today to replace her and also get some extras! I think I'll go for the blue egg layers, which she was. We are only getting one blue egg a day (and not everyday) and for whatever reason those are the eggs that seem to make everyone the happiest. All of the other eggs are brown/pink (and recently chocolate speckled!). We had the two Ameraucanas laying out of the 16 hens and now are down to only one.

upload_2019-1-2_8-1-13.png

Back
Top Bottom