What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Pics
The morning I woke up and finally realized, oh heck, I've got 40 birds in my living room... It hit real hard and quick how much chickens have taken over my life 😂
A sign my husband bought for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 41
I like the way you think! Not to brag but I have more specific details than that. Spotted chicken, solid chicken, stripy chicken. Oh and I’m so proud of this one- bantam chicken. lol
Oh it was the spots and stripes that made me give up on breeds. I thought I had nailed the whole spots thing only to be told that two apparently identical spotted chickens were completely different breeds.
That was when I called it a day.
And don’t show off with your bantam chicken jargon until you can tell me why that isn’t just a small chicken (which of course could be either pretty or very pretty)!

Hi, first time chicken owner, I’ve got 4 red sex link pullets, and 4 chicks.
Is there a chicken breed underground that I’m unaware of? Like the Free Masons of chickens??
Before I decided to get chickens, I read EVERYTHING I could about them. And yall chicken ppl blow my mind with ALL the breeds and knowledge about them. Not just in this community. I went to the feed store just to buy another feeder. Ol man comes over “oh you got some me chickens huh. Well you need some bebop’s and floofloos, and maybe cross you some yummytums and plickados”. At one point I don’t think he was speaking English anymore. “What kind of chickens you got”? I was dumbfounded I said “mine are red”. I felt so.. ignorant. Seriously where/how do y'all learn about all these breeds? And why is it important? I feel like I’m missing something here. I want to be in the chicken know!
I learn mine from the poultry standard of perfection book. It’s expensive but it tells you a lot.

But you don’t need to learn all of those terms. It took me like two years to be able to list a ton of breeds off the top of my head, and i’m learning genetics for them now, so that helps. Start somewhere and figure out what you like. Like Easter egger chickens and breeding them to make different color eggs, i had fun reading about that, and from there i learned about other things.

I think we're just a bunch of caring folks who want to do the right things. It takes time and try out different breeds and ways to see what's a good fit for you and also your environment. Is it extra hot where you live or extra cold? Find the best breeds that tolerate your environment best. Example my area is hot so my coop and run are shaded and my run is fitted with misters. I'm talking 110 degrees. So chickens cool by there feet. The misters help them stay cool. I have to supply extra electrolytes to keep them from getting depleted. It takes time and a bit of research to find the best fit for your flock. Also consider predators in your area. Some areas have hawks, some have raccoons. Know what's out in your area to best protect your birds. I have both hawks and raccoons my run is covered so the hawks stay out. I got a automatic coop door that protects raccoons from sneaking in. Had that happened before. So awful. It's a live and learn thing. Hope this helps a little. Have fun and good luck

Oh it was the spots and stripes that made me give up on breeds. I thought I had nailed the whole spots thing only to be told that two apparently identical spotted chickens were completely different breeds.
That was when I called it a day.
And don’t show off with your bantam chicken jargon until you can tell me why that isn’t just a small chicken (which of course could be either pretty or very pretty)!
Or be fancy and say mini chicken lol. I’ve got 2 chicks. Some dude asks what kind. I say bantam frizzles. He condescendingly says that’s not the breed. Look guy I have no idea ok? They’re yellow small crazy haired chickens.

Back
Top Bottom