What’s the name of your coop?

Ft. Happy Nests is the unofficial name of our place (we're not commercial, so it's just what I call it in my head, you understand). The building where the chickens actually sleep I call the hen house, because I was informed when I had it built that it was not a "coop," which rhymes with "cook," not with "hoop." A coop, I was told, is a small cage along the lines of a cat carrier or dog crate that you throw in the back of your pickumup truck to transport chickens from your house to the neighbors' to trade for hound puppies or whatever. I had to learn a whole new language when I moved here. Incidentally, the sun is not yellow here in the evening, it is blood red, which is why Superman is from here. Seriously. Metropolis is in Missouri. Look it up.

20210610_100648.jpg

...I was informed when I had it built that it was not a "coop," which rhymes with "cook," not with "hoop." A coop, I was told, is a small cage along the lines of a cat carrier or dog crate that you throw in the back of your pickumup truck to transport chickens from your house to the neighbors' to trade for hound puppies or whatever....
???

Possibly a regional thing? A coop (pronounced to rhyme with hoop) is a building for chickens to live in. Also known as a hen house but that is rarely used around here.

A small cage for transporting chickens is a crate. Or a chicken crate. Or a poultry crate. Or a poultry shipping crate.

We had a couple like this wooden one and one like this plastic one only ours was yellow.

Attachments

• FBCE60B8-F2DE-4689-936B-F3ACF227C969.jpeg
    FBCE60B8-F2DE-4689-936B-F3ACF227C969.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 3FF26C54-3855-47ED-991F-47DF0EE76DE3.jpeg
    3FF26C54-3855-47ED-991F-47DF0EE76DE3.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom