What’s the noise?

Jannbo

Chirping
May 19, 2023
So I have one coturnix hen that I haven’t been able to successfully reunite with its sisters after being attacked by my roo so she’s been living inside. I’ve had her enclosure kept directly next to one where my lone gambel is (it’s partner had to be culled due to a severe dislocated leg) so that they could both have a bit more company at least without risking them hurting each other since they’re different species and the gambel is a male.

Every morning and night for the past week now the coturnix hen has been making this screaming noise. Some times she’ll do it during the day but it’s fairly quiet. At night and morning though it is absolutely piercingly loud. It hurts to be next to her when she’s doing at that volume and it can be heard from the opposite side of the house. I’ve got a video of it here and this about the regular volume she does it at during the evenings and night, but in the mornings it’s faaaaaaar louder.

She’s stressed and calling. Can another bird (female) be placed with her until she’s healed?
She’s healed already. I’ve been trying to reunite her for almost a month with her siblings but they keep attacking her. I’ve followed tons of advice from Nabiki and others on safely putting them together but it’s just not safe for her. I’m trying to find some other hens around her age locally to get but not many for sale besides Roo’s and day old chicks. Once I find some then hopefully there’ll be more success

She’s healed already. I’ve been trying to reunite her for almost a month with her siblings but they keep attacking her. I’ve followed tons of advice from Nabiki and others on safely putting them together but it’s just not safe for her. I’m trying to find some other hens around her age locally to get but not many for sale besides Roo’s and day old chicks. Once I find some then hopefully there’ll be more success
How are you trying to integrate them?

How are you trying to integrate them?
I’ve tried three different cages of different styles, after an extremely thorough cleaning to be sure there’s no bird smell left over from either of them. Mostly been trying it at night since that’s I’ve seen recommended the most but since it wasn’t working I tried during day and that didn’t make any difference. I’m gonna give them a try in the enclosure im preparing for the gambels to spend some time in to get used to being outside in a day or two when it’s finished, but if that doesn’t work I’m gonna go the route of getting some more hens

That's a stressed hen call. She wants company.
I figured that would be the case. Like I said to someone else, I’m gonna try her and her siblings once more in a day or two when I finish up another enclosure I’m building for my other quail that are getting ready to go outside and see if that’ll work. If not I’ll just have to get some other hens who aren’t accustomed to my yard at all like her siblings are

I’ve tried three different cages of different styles, after an extremely thorough cleaning to be sure there’s no bird smell left over from either of them. Mostly been trying it at night since that’s I’ve seen recommended the most but since it wasn’t working I tried during day and that didn’t make any difference. I’m gonna give them a try in the enclosure im preparing for the gambels to spend some time in to get used to being outside in a day or two when it’s finished, but if that doesn’t work I’m gonna go the route of getting some more hens
You need to set her in a cage where they can see and hear each other but not touch for at least a week probably longer just throwing them in won’t work.

Back
Top Bottom