What’s this lump inside my egg?

juniperz

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2017
I’ve seen small lumps of this sort before but this one is much bigger. Figured I’d finally ask what’s up.

Attachments

• 8821C3E7-4880-4472-9882-DA160CD77D83.jpeg
    8821C3E7-4880-4472-9882-DA160CD77D83.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 11
Looks like a chick
I collect the eggs usually every other day, would it develop that quickly?

I did once open an egg that had started developing an embryo, and it had a clearly defined shape of head and spine/body. (That was not one of my own eggs, and we didn't know how long it had been sat on.) This is just a weird blob.

Looks like just a blood/meat spot to me. Blood spots are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel during the formation of the egg. It’s harmless, doesn’t matter if you eat it or if you take it out.

That's a meat spot.
A-ha! Thank you! "Meat spot" isn't very appetizing so I will continue to remove them. 😄

It's a meat spot. A bit of blood or tissue was included when the egg was forming as posted above.

Nothing to worry about.

I see those in pullet eggs and the first eggs when mine are coming back into lay after molting.
Interesting, I was getting smaller meat spots here and there last year but this was the biggest one I'd ever seen. I had a bunch of first year pullets, and of course now everyone's returning to laying after both winter and molting. Makes sense!

They're edible, & unnoticeable once eaten.
Good to know! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom