what’s up with this egg?

DickMidnight

Crowing
Oct 23, 2021
i’ve never had an egg issue before. no soft shelled or shell-less eggs.

the flock is on a nutrena all flock feed with free choice oyster shell available.

what’s going on with this shell? just a one-off glitch? or something i should be concerned about?
39302D33-A557-4F01-8D0D-0A94AC2552E8.jpeg
D6911D7E-7CEC-427A-B04A-DEE0F9DEF906.jpeg

I've ocassionally found an egg like that in a nestbox. By the size and color, I know they were laid by older red sex-links (age 4 and up) at the end of summer. When they take a rest and resume laying in the spring, their eggs are back to normal. Here is a great article that addresses "unusual eggs." Scroll down to #13 which shows a "corrugated" egg, same as you are holding in your hand.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

First thought, id say its fine. If you have a big flock and it keeps reaccuring, put some food dye in the vent so the egg will be slightly streaked with color. Otherwise, its probably nothing.

It may be a glitch, as of right now I would just wait and see if they reoccur.
Do you have any idea who laid it?
no idea who laid it.
I've ocassionally found an egg like that in a nestbox. By the size and color, I know they were laid by older red sex-links (age 4 and up) at the end of summer. When they take a rest and resume laying in the spring, their eggs are back to normal. Here is a great article that addresses "unusual eggs." Scroll down to #13 which shows a "corrugated" egg, same as you are holding in your hand.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
thank you, i’ll check it out. my oldest hens are about 18 months old. so i don’t think it’s age related.
Do you know for certain the birds are eating the oyster shell? Mine wouldn't touch it at first
i’ve had to refill it several times, so i know it’s being eaten.

Back
Top Bottom