What’s wrong w/nest boxes?

Please share your thoughts about these nest boxes. The hens don’t use them. I’m new to this. The chicken tractor was given to me. I didn’t design it. Before I start a ‘remodel’ I’d like to hear what you think. Sorry for the mess. It’s been very cold! The hens lay in the two farthest boxes occasionally, but they’ve never sat on a nest. They also lay on the ground down in between the 2x4’s. I had one hen get broody down on the ground in early January. She sat for ~12 days then gave up. The 15 degree temps were no good!

They lay on my boat. They lay in the corner of the shed. They lay under the Ford tractor.
View attachment 1699878 View attachment 1699878 View attachment 1699880 View attachment 1699879
Do they hate the nest boxes because of the wire bottoms? I’m thinking about putting plywood down in the bottom and leaving the back 3” exposed for cleanout. Shove some straw or pine shavings in there and see what happens. I’m also thinking about laying some plywood over the entire floor and I don’t know what to keep them from laying down there. All thoughts are welcomed. Thanks
After using similar nesting boxes my husband made and trying different ideas, the best thing for my hens are plastic totes. I fill them about half full with pine savings add a bit of herbs occasionally and they love them. 2 girls can fit in 1 and I only have 3 for 24 hens believe it or not. They rarely fight over a turn and produce 14-18 eggs all winter. I'm curious what this summer will be like since the old set up was used before. The totes are about 12inches x 24 inches and fairly deep. They just jump in and easily. Most of my girls are 2 to 3 years and going strong.

I've raised a lot of chickens and here is what I see- the nests themselves are fine in size, shape, and location. Everyone else is right about needing a solid bottom and some sort of nesting material; straw, hay, grass clippings, etc. Also, consider closing the backs, you can use a long board with hinges to open easily for cleaning and egg gathering. They don't need anything on the front, the openings are perfectly fine. That said, you must exchange the PVC pipe for 2x4's. Chickens like to roost with their feet flat, especially in cold climates like yours. One last thought, once you make the changes you will probably have to keep them closed in their house for a couple of days until they have used the nests a few times and learn that it is where they lay their eggs, then everyone will be happy!

I agree with the nest boxes being too high, needing solid bottoms and nesting materials! The height really helps with roosting and brooding too! Learned the hard way ,but folks here helped me mend my ways

Definitely the wire mesh bottom is a deterrent. I bought plastic paint trays to line my nest boxes, then add shavings or hay. The paint trays are removable and easy to clean. Plus they provide cushion and are slanted so the egg will roll down to the back of the nest box where a hatch that lifts up to get the eggs out.

Moms like to nest. Hens are no exception. They want to feel snuggly and cozy. I'd try the plywood like you mentioned and then the nesting material like others have suggested. The girls will get in there, snuggle in and move the material around the way they like, like fluffing a pillow. Also, they kind of have to push up when they lay. Are boxes big enough?

I agree with everybody about putting down nesting material.

I also noticed that you mentioned it’s been very cold. The more reason to have nesting material.

I like the idea of exposed wire for easy clean-out. But I agree about using plywood or any solid floor on the nest for safety and extra warmth; and keeping nesting material off the bottom level.

The solid floor will also make the nests darker. Your hens will feel safer and more likely to use the nests.

Someone also suggested getting plastic nest box trays, which got me thinking, are the walls metal? As Metal gets cold in cold weather, you may also consider adding wood walls or replacing the nests with wood when you remodel.

Good luck!

Please share your thoughts about these nest boxes. The hens don’t use them. I’m new to this. The chicken tractor was given to me. I didn’t design it. Before I start a ‘remodel’ I’d like to hear what you think. Sorry for the mess. It’s been very cold! The hens lay in the two farthest boxes occasionally, but they’ve never sat on a nest. They also lay on the ground down in between the 2x4’s. I had one hen get broody down on the ground in early January. She sat for ~12 days then gave up. The 15 degree temps were no good!

They lay on my boat. They lay in the corner of the shed. They lay under the Ford tractor.
View attachment 1699878 View attachment 1699878 View attachment 1699880 View attachment 1699879
Do they hate the nest boxes because of the wire bottoms? I’m thinking about putting plywood down in the bottom and leaving the back 3” exposed for cleanout. Shove some straw or pine shavings in there and see what happens. I’m also thinking about laying some plywood over the entire floor and I don’t know what to keep them from laying down there. All thoughts are welcomed. Thanks

A better way to get in, solid bottoms and I use chopped straw for bedding.

Back
Top Bottom