What’s wrong w/nest boxes?

Please share your thoughts about these nest boxes. The hens don’t use them. I’m new to this. The chicken tractor was given to me. I didn’t design it. Before I start a ‘remodel’ I’d like to hear what you think. Sorry for the mess. It’s been very cold! The hens lay in the two farthest boxes occasionally, but they’ve never sat on a nest. They also lay on the ground down in between the 2x4’s. I had one hen get broody down on the ground in early January. She sat for ~12 days then gave up. The 15 degree temps were no good!

They lay on my boat. They lay in the corner of the shed. They lay under the Ford tractor.
View attachment 1699878 View attachment 1699878 View attachment 1699880 View attachment 1699879
Do they hate the nest boxes because of the wire bottoms? I’m thinking about putting plywood down in the bottom and leaving the back 3” exposed for cleanout. Shove some straw or pine shavings in there and see what happens. I’m also thinking about laying some plywood over the entire floor and I don’t know what to keep them from laying down there. All thoughts are welcomed. Thanks

Maybe some straw, on the bottom with some shaved pine chips over the top, to make it softer. My hens like a rail across the front of the nest boxes to stand on before they go in, I guess they like to look around a bit. I love the boxed though, they are like the ones my dad had when we were kids.

There are great articles on this website that can guide you on making changes to your chicken set-up. I just upgraded my coop area and made a lot of changes to make things better for my chickens and easier for me. First I recommend sand for the coop and or run area but you can also use the deep litter method. Your roosting poles are too small and they look like they are PVC. You would do better using 2x4’s laying with the flatter side up and set them up using a ladder pattern if you can. It is better for their feet and more comfortable for them. Definitely put bedding in your boxes but do not use straw. I find they do well with pine shavings. They also prefer a quiet, darker area to lay their eggs. Some people make little curtains for the front depending on their set up. Good luck!

I agree about putting in a mat or nesting material. You probably won't need that many boxes. My hens have always shared 2-3 boxes, no matter how many birds I have. They favor the boxes on the ends. I do see an issue with the roosting bars. I'd replace the poles with flat boards to provide more surface area for landing and resting.

The wire should be fine if covered with pine shavings. I would add a boardwalk for them to get into the box as they have to fly up and there's nowhere for them to see if it's safe to lay in the box. A board would allow them to fly up, walk around and see the box up close before going in. Then I'd throw in some ceramic eggs to encourage them to lay.

Wire bottoms on nest boxes may be good for keeping predators out, but the cool draft coming up would be good for "breaking a broody" from non-stop setting with no egg laying. So, as others have suggested, put plywood squares & plastic tray/pails with straw/etc. & fake eggs to intice your hens to use. Maybe even add a wood dowel/or 2X2 or 4 across front of each level at the entrance of nests to fly up to & balance to get in; split in the middle curtain not a bad idea either if needed (I haven't needed curtains yet).

They just want a cozy, private place. Best wishes.

Please share your thoughts about these nest boxes. The hens don’t use them. I’m new to this. The chicken tractor was given to me. I didn’t design it. Before I start a ‘remodel’ I’d like to hear what you think. Sorry for the mess. It’s been very cold! The hens lay in the two farthest boxes occasionally, but they’ve never sat on a nest. They also lay on the ground down in between the 2x4’s. I had one hen get broody down on the ground in early January. She sat for ~12 days then gave up. The 15 degree temps were no good!

They lay on my boat. They lay in the corner of the shed. They lay under the Ford tractor.
View attachment 1699878 View attachment 1699878 View attachment 1699880 View attachment 1699879
Do they hate the nest boxes because of the wire bottoms? I’m thinking about putting plywood down in the bottom and leaving the back 3” exposed for cleanout. Shove some straw or pine shavings in there and see what happens. I’m also thinking about laying some plywood over the entire floor and I don’t know what to keep them from laying down there. All thoughts are welcomed. Thanks

That chicken tractor has great potential to be a happy place for your flock with some changes that others have mentioned. Looks like a fun project that doesn't appear too time consuming or expensive.:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom