What’s wrong with roosters foot

Sherri1990

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
Hi all!

A couple days ago I noticed my roo holding his foot up. Yesterday I spotted this red area between his toes. He is walking on it and really doesn’t act like it’s bothering him. He is not an easy rooster to go up and grab but I did manage to get antibacterial spray on it last night. Any one have any ideas? The first pic is last night and the second is this morning.

Attachments

• CDE5F372-54EB-43DD-B9EE-D9C144394F41.png
    CDE5F372-54EB-43DD-B9EE-D9C144394F41.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 7F3F16F9-E640-47D1-92DF-CF78C3C8AAE1.jpeg
    7F3F16F9-E640-47D1-92DF-CF78C3C8AAE1.jpeg
    680.6 KB · Views: 10
Some have luck using colorless iodine with a little sugar (sugardine) on a dressing pad applied to the red bump, left for 3 days, and wrap it with vet wraps strips. The dressing is shown at the bottom illustration in this long article about bumblefoot treatment:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/
Bumblefoot is treated conservatively with soaks or dressings of iodine or Prid drawing salve, or with surgery.

hmm. @Wyorp Rock ? it looks like something one of my chickens had. she died a few days later. we never figured out what she had, but thought it might have been bumble foot. she was limping though. your chicken does not feel it? bumble foot is an infection on the hen/rooster's foot. they usually feel it. I just don't exactly know what it is.

It probably is bumblefoot between the toes which sometimes happens. He also has advanced scaly leg mites. Is there any scab on his footpad? You may want to bring him inside, and soak his legs in a warm soapy water bath for 15-20 minutes. Add some Epsom salts, or Betadine or chlorhexidene to the water. Let us know if there is a scab on the foot pad. Dry his legs well and apply vaseline, castor oil, shortening or other thick oil and rub it into his scales. Repeat oil for leg mites twice a week.

Read the article in my last post about bumblefoot, where you will see a similar red abscess between the toes. I don’t do surgery unless there is a limp or bad abscess on the footpad. For a skittish rooster, it might be better to grab him off a roost while sleeping just before daylight, or late at night, and do the soak. Or just grab him and coat his legs with the vaseline. It needs repeated for weeks until you start to see new scales growing in. The oil will also soothe him from the it hing. You might also try some ivermectin (5mg per ml) pour-on 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight (estimate his weight or weigh him.) Apply on the back of his neck over his spine. Repeat that dose in 14 days. You can use oral ivermectin, but I would have to check on the dosage. I have never used antibiotics, and I don’t think the bumblefoot looks too bad yet. But a vet might give antibiotics.

If you have disinfectant such as betadine, chlorhexidene, or alcohol, you could clean it and lance it with a sterilized needle or sharp knife. The squeeze it for any pus, clean it again with disinfectant, apply antibiotic ointment, and wrap a gauze dressing around it. This video shows how to apply the dressing, but put the gauze on top between toes instead of the bottom.

hmm. @Wyorp Rock ? it looks like something one of my chickens had. she died a few days later. we never figured out what she had, but thought it might have been bumble foot. she was limping though. your chicken does not feel it? bumble foot is an infection on the hen/rooster's foot. they usually feel it. I just don't exactly know what it is.
I don’t see anything on the bottom of his foot. I’m sorry you lost your chicken :(

It probably is bumblefoot between the toes which sometimes happens. He also has advanced scaly leg mites. Is there any scab on his footpad? You may want to bring him inside, and soak his legs in a warm soapy water bath for 15-20 minutes. Add some Epsom salts, or Betadine or chlorhexidene to the water. Let us know if there is a scab on the foot pad. Dry his legs well and apply vaseline, castor oil, shortening or other thick oil and rub it into his scales. Repeat oil for leg mites twice a week.
I was wondering if it might be mites. He doesn’t have anything on the bottom pad. I’m not sure how he will do with me picking him up. He was a stray rooster that someone dumped :( lucky for me he is the best! I will see if I can get the oil on his legs tonight. Do you think I need to give him any oral antibiotic?

Some have luck using colorless iodine with a little sugar (sugardine) on a dressing pad applied to the red bump, left for 3 days, and wrap it with vet wraps strips. The dressing is shown at the bottom illustration in this long article about bumblefoot treatment:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/
Bumblefoot is treated conservatively with soaks or dressings of iodine or Prid drawing salve, or with surgery.
Thank you! She seems to know I’m observing him lol. I’m trying to get a picture of his foot pad.

Back
Top Bottom