What a day! 2 new layers, one GREEN egg and one SOFT DANGLING egg! PIC

msgenie516

The Happy Hen
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Nesconset, LI, NY
Hi,

What a day in the henhouse! I collect my eggs three times a day and the first time, what a pleasant surprise! I checked the coop with my 6 young pullets (well, I think two may be roosters, just have to wait and see) that had not yet layed and to my disbelief, I found a small but perfect mint green egg. In this coop are 2 BO’s and 4 Silkie/Polish mixes (this is what I was told but it is obviously not a fact). The supposed Polish/Silkie mixes are only 17 weeks old and the BO’s are 21 weeks old. Well, I expected the BO’s to be the first to lay, as they are the older ones.

However, all along, I was watching one of the other pullets and thought to myself “He told me they are Polish/Silkie mixes but this one sure looks like an EE”. Sure enough, she had been squatting earlier in the week and now, a cute little green egg! I think the fellow I bought these chicks from doesn’t know exactly what’s going on in his coop!
wink.png

He did say he had some EE’s, some Black Australorps, and Polish hens, but he insisted the only rooster he has is a Silkie. This EE looks an awful lot like a Black Australorp mixed with an EE and she is awfully large to have a Silkie “Daddy” (and doesn‘t look like a Silkie at all). So I am confused but REALLY EXCITED about getting this green egg! Here is a picture. The new egg is in the middle between one of my large white Leghorn eggs and an olive green egg from my older EE to give you a comparison on the size and color.

newgreenegg.jpg

But that’s not the end of it! I went out the second time and nothing new. Then I went out shopping and returned home about 5:00 PM and checked the coop again. This time I was not only surprised, but SHOCKED! One of my fluffy, cute BO’s had a SOFT egg DANGLING from it’s butt! I ran back into the house to get some paper towels, hoping that I could retrieve the egg but I was kind of afraid of hurting my cute little girl because I had no idea why it was dangling. When I tried to grab her, she jumped and the egg fell down. I picked it up to inspect it and found that it had been attached to another soft egg, the remains of which must have still been inside her. I am hoping she passed the rest of it by this time and that this was only a “glitch” because she also is a brand new layer.

So two new layers of different ages in one day, a green egg and a double soft egg! I’m exhausted just thinking about it, hope tomorrow is a little less eventful! I am a little concerned about the double soft egg layer and I gave them all some oyster shell to pick on, so maybe that will help. I hadn’t added extra calcium until now since they weren’t laying and I read it wasn’t a good idea because it would go to their bones and cause skeletal problems instead of creating eggshells.

If anyone feels I have a problem on my hands, please let me know. Any suggestions as to what to do about it would also be really appreciated. Thanks! Genie

Last edited:
What a great day! Congratulations. I don't know about the soft egg thing, but it sounds like you were fortunate to be there to witness it. It probably won't ever happen again. Good work and good luck!

Wow! Nothing that exciting ever happened in my yard before, apart from yesterday when I found three eggs in the nest and there are only two hens. It turns out feathers has laid two eggs.

We had a soft egg very much like what you described. It was a normal sized shell-less egg, but it was encased in a long tubular membrane that looked like sausage casing about 4-5 inches long. When we opened the egg, the white was very watery. We fried it up for the dogs anyway.

I have no idea who laid it. They all looked fine and were acting normal. Hopefully it's just a one-time thing.

Back
Top Bottom