What a difference!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by epona4, Apr 2, 2009.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    This winter we raised 6 leghorn chicks. They were scared to death of EVERYTHING! We tried getting them used to us. And maybe it did help a little bit. They will sometimes come eat out of our hands now...but other times they run in circles and act silly.

Yesterday I brought home some chicks from the feed store. 3 barred rocks, 3 red sex links and 4 buffs. Oh my goodness! They are so different!! DH put his hand down in the brooder and instead of running scared, the BRs hopped onto his hand! They all seem more interested in checking us out, than running from us.

It's going to be fun watching this chicks grow up!

I hope the Buckeye, sussex and wellsummer chicks I have coming in May are this way.

2. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Speaking of red sex link...how do I tell the boys from the girls? They were all kind of red. Some a bit darker than others.

Thanks

3. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Quote:Male red sex link chicks are white or pale yellow. The pullets will be goldish red with a stripe or two going down their back, but the shades will vary.
    As long as they are goldish red regardless of shade they should be the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by