What a good roo

It amazes me when my rooster, pimp daddy, does that. Its like he knows the hen needs to lay an egg, and he's helping her out. Sometimes he'll get up in the nest and make these crazy squealing noises, and pretty soon a hen will get up there in the nest with him. How does he know when its time to lay an egg?

Awww. Add my roo to the list. He does all of the above, breaks up waiting line fights (for the nest), and is a real cheerleader .
No one would ever know this about roos. They are quite unique, and are much much more than you expect them to be. I love it.

Put my rooster on that list as well.... He has a favorite "special needs hen" that he sleeps with at night. Because shes "special needs" i have her in her own house inside the garage. She starts making noises when she needs to lay an egg therefor he takes over and digs her a nice comfy nest to lay in and gets in there with her while she lays. When she is done he gathers feathers to place on top of the eggs to hide them from me. During the day he is out with the rest of the girls doing the same for them. In this picture he has just sat with her while she layed her egg so i treated them to a slice of 12 grain bread
10663_crash_and_pumpkin.jpg
sorry pic quality is horrible

aw chickenaddict.. he IS a good rooster.

I have learned so much about roosters in the thread.
They get such a bad rap normally.

This thread should be in honor of Father's Day! lol

Quote:
Thank you. He's filled out a lot since that clip.
smile.png

I've only had a few that would fluff and fix the nests for the hens. But this is the only one I've ever had that sits with the pullets while they lay their first egg and coos to them. But he stops after they've laid their first few eggs. I guess he figures they don't need him anymore.

Chickenaddict, what kind of roo is yours?

Good clip, Janet! That's my future babies' daddy, right? Suede, my Blue Orp roo, does that all the time, but I'm always afraid that he'll pull the nestbox right off the wall, he's so huge, LOL. And he does it in the corner of the coop on the floor, too.

Last edited:
Yes, that's him, Cyn. He's a big sweetheart and getting bigger every day
smile.png
Not that he'll ever be as big as the Suedenator. But, my guess is he'll go 9 lbs. His own daddy was very close.

I'm glad to hear this is more common than I thought. This is the 1st roo I had that has been so sweet. I hope the little cockerels follow in his footsteps.

Back
Top Bottom