What a wake up call!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shelleyb1969, Dec 16, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I'm one of the very disturbed, I mean ADDICTED, ones who is continuing to incubate and hatch ALL WINTER!
    Therefore, I have 2 brooders in my home office containing a total of 24 chicks...ranging in age from 2 weeks up to 8 weeks. Yes, I know, I'm suffering from full blown chickitis. [​IMG]
    Anyways, one of my brooders has 4 blue bantam cochin roos and 1 bantam salmon faverolle roo...all 6 weeks old this week.
    Around 8am, right at the time I was in that kind of pre-wake twilight sleep, I heard a very odd sound...odd but familiar. Since I wasn't fully awake yet, I told myself that it was just my imagination or a lingering memory of a dream. But...I heard it again, coming from my upstairs office. I immediately jumped out of bed and rushed upstairs to find this...
    [​IMG]...

attempting to crow his head off! UUUUGGGGHHHHH! [​IMG] I had been thinking about moving them into our garage, but was actually having second thoughts since it's so bitterly cold here now. But this changes EVERYTHING! I've never had a cockerel to start crowing at such a young age...he'll be 6 weeks old tomorrow! [​IMG]
    I never would have imagined my addiction would take me to the point of having live chickens crowing INSIDE MY HOUSE! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    what a cutie!!!!!!!!!

3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Isnt he pretty! I bet he is going to be one loud rooster with starting to crow at 6weeks [​IMG]. Mine are almost 16 weeks and just now have really started to crow.

4. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

It must be the vitamins. [​IMG]

5. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    8:00??? You needed to be up anyway, the day is half gone. Ha!!

Yeah, I never thought I'd have 'em in my house either. I've got 6 inside now that are 3 weeks old and about 30 eggs due to hatch next week. (Right there along with ya and the hatching addiction...)

Earplugs, anybody?? [​IMG]

6. shelleyb1969

The whole time I was running up the stairs I was thinking that one of the chicks had to be hurt or something...because as most of you know, a cockerel's first crows sort of sound like a cat being slaughtered IMO. [​IMG]
    But then, when I actually SAW him trying to crow, I was just amazed.

7. shelleyb1969

Quote:Well, if I wasn't up half the night on this forum (due to my addiction, of course! [​IMG] ), I'd be able to get up earlier! [​IMG]

8. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    lol my husband would have been flipping, but I would have been on the ground LMAS....lol that is to funny

9. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Thatʻs OK, at 4 weeks, one of my cockrel chicks tried to mount on of his nestmates! Youʻre right, it MUST be the vitamins!

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That'll teach ya! [​IMG]

My SO wasn't thrilled when they were living on our screened porch (right in front of the bedroom window) and crowing.
    Had they been inside I'm doubtful either rooster would have lived to see adulthood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by