What About Banana?

Catfsm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2011
West Lnn, Oregon
My chickens love it, but someone told me it is not safe. I get over ripe ones before the grocery store composts them. We toss down slices, and they squack and carry them off to prevent theft and even fight over the pieces.

I do not know if it is true but in 2009 when I first started posting someone explained to me that a banana has too much potassium and that can cause problems with roosters. I just made it a point not to feed it to any of them. I was also told onions will make eggs taste onion like and citrus will cause issues with shell production.

I have nothing to substantiate these statements, I just learned that when it comes to feeding a flock, I have had great advice from folks on this forum.

No judgement. If your chickens are doing well and like Bananas - it is your call

Caroline

Caroline, are you talking about the peels, the fruit or both? And I agree, there is a lot of great, valuable advice on here from a lot of knowledgeable people. I am just curious.

What is your opinion on composting the above (including onion and citrus) and allowing the chooks to scratch in the compost?

I believe it was the fruit itself and not the peel. Sometimes I volunteer at the zoo and we used to cut up peel and all to feed to some of the animals. No one was ever concerned about pesticides on the peels. There may be some truth to the potassium thing. I don't give mine potatoes either. I don't want to take a chance.
Caroline

love composting. We compost on our little farm. The chickens love to eat the bugs. I don't let any meat or bones go in the pile. Sometimes I add a can of coke. I had a friend who had this wonderful composting rotating barrel thingy that closed up and everyday you spin the handle. Every 30 days she had incredible compost dirt. Our property is on old pasture land and the dirt is sandy so even though the dirt looks all black and loamy it needs some compost to make anything grow well.

Caroline

Back
Top Bottom