What About Banana?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Catfsm, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Catfsm

Catfsm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2011
    West Lnn, Oregon
    My chickens love it, but someone told me it is not safe. I get over ripe ones before the grocery store composts them. We toss down slices, and they squack and carry them off to prevent theft and even fight over the pieces.

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
  3. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    My girls love banana.

But I have been wondering why people say they can't eat the peel? What is the reasoning behind this?

4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Banana peels are one of the most poisoned foods on market. A lot of pesticides.

5. yogifink

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Quote:Other than the spray, is there any other reasoning? Thinking organic would be okay? (this is of course if you belive organic is actually no spray)

6. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I do not know if it is true but in 2009 when I first started posting someone explained to me that a banana has too much potassium and that can cause problems with roosters. I just made it a point not to feed it to any of them. I was also told onions will make eggs taste onion like and citrus will cause issues with shell production.

I have nothing to substantiate these statements, I just learned that when it comes to feeding a flock, I have had great advice from folks on this forum.

No judgement. If your chickens are doing well and like Bananas - it is your call

Caroline

1 person likes this.
  7. yogifink

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    Caroline, are you talking about the peels, the fruit or both? And I agree, there is a lot of great, valuable advice on here from a lot of knowledgeable people. I am just curious.

What is your opinion on composting the above (including onion and citrus) and allowing the chooks to scratch in the compost?

8. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I believe it was the fruit itself and not the peel. Sometimes I volunteer at the zoo and we used to cut up peel and all to feed to some of the animals. No one was ever concerned about pesticides on the peels. There may be some truth to the potassium thing. I don't give mine potatoes either. I don't want to take a chance.
    Caroline

9. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    love composting. We compost on our little farm. The chickens love to eat the bugs. I don't let any meat or bones go in the pile. Sometimes I add a can of coke. I had a friend who had this wonderful composting rotating barrel thingy that closed up and everyday you spin the handle. Every 30 days she had incredible compost dirt. Our property is on old pasture land and the dirt is sandy so even though the dirt looks all black and loamy it needs some compost to make anything grow well.

Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by