What about grass clippings?

ice329

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
Today I mowed some grass into a pile and gave a big wad to the birds. Sprinkled it with grit and gave it to them. Grass got a lot of clover and just regular lawn grass that is never fertilized or never used pesticide. They do seem to enjoy it.. The older ones free roam but this was for the younger ones. I did a little research online and came up with..grass clipping are somewhere between 20 - 30 % protien... Is this right? Sounds high...

NC.. its not like I had to mow but some spots were long enough to mow some up for the birds.. I did it for there xmas snack

cool im in southern ky and think its fuuny how southern texas gets more snow then us, and i guess we still have clover and fescue growing just really slow , and it aint enough to keep from feeding hay

I planted one spot.. its about 20ft x 50ft just for a winter food plot for the birds to free roam. in there is just rye grain, rye grass, red clover, landino/white clover, and alfalfa... the only thing eating it is 5 guinea hens and one chicken and they keep it ate down.. I never would have thought 6 birds could do that... plus they eat from all over the property besides this spot. I guess I will be making grass clippings another part of the younger ones diets until there old enough to free roam.

Last edited:
are you sure there aint deer in it as well?
we have a hayfield planted in a lot of the same and cant keep the deer out this time of year, of course its the only thing stiill green

I dont think deer are into it. I dont see tracks in it but there may be other things?.. dont know for sure. Most of my grass besides the plot is green, i have thrown pounds and pounds of clover seed over the past 4 years trying to attract wild life.

Back
Top Bottom