What about Pears?

weloveourchicks

Songster
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
Virginia
We have a ton of pears that are starting to get soft on us. I was thinking of giving a few to the chickens, does anyone know if it's safe to give them pears?

- - Susan

I'm sure it would be fine. I give mine whole apples and they devour them. I ran a piece of bailing wire through the center and suspended it. Once they got the hang of it the apple was gone! Good Luck!

Now, dang it, I've read elsewhere on this forum that certain fruits, apples and pears among them, can stop laying hens from laying... and I read also that tomatoes are poisonous to chickens... and then I have read elsewhere that all these things are old wives' tales, and like anything else, they can have just about anything in moderation.
he.gif

I know many, many people give their hens tomatoes, and I can't believe that none of the free range birds out there eat apples or pears and I bet they keep on laying just fine... maybe that is a myth that started because apples and pears get ripe just about the time hens quit laying for the winter anyway???

So - how about it, folks - do y'all give your birds these things, and if so, does it affect them badly? I gotta admit, I gave my chickens a few of the grape tomatoes and the other day when I made an apple cobbler they got the peels. But I didn't give them the cores, in case the seeds were bad for them - after all, apple seeds do contain arsenic. But maybe that would have been fine, too.

I don't know - what's been the experience of the more experienced??
idunno.gif

Mine have eaten pears, they get them off the ground under the tree so I really can't stop them, Apples also, and well they ate all the tomatoes I planted this year, and beans and watermelons (they actually made a hole and hallowed them so I didn't know thet ate them til I tried picking a hallow perfect looking watermelon. So not sure if they should but really no way to keep them from doing it. With all that said, I have seen no slow down in eggs so maybe old wives tail, but mine are all still alive.

Back
Top Bottom