What about securing the gate/door.

jophoto

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
White Hall, MD
I've been watching with much interest - we just bought this coop -- http://www.mypetchicken.com/PicturePop.aspx?image=images/product_images/Popup/CC4.jpg and are deciding on fencing. For the run -- We will be burying the wire fence in the ground, putting wire fence across the top, everything the best we can. However, I got to thinking about the door/gate to the run. Since you can't bury part of the door, how do you secure to know an animal can't just dig right under the door.

Any suggestions?

Either pour concrete or put patio stones under the entrance to the door. I don't have my fence buried but I do have 24" patio stones butted up againts the edge of my fence the whole way around the outside.

I used what I had on hand, big cobblestones. I stood them up beneath the door and buried them halfway, so there's barely a 1/2" clearance for the door. You could use cement blocks the same way.

Oh EXCELLENT! Thank you so much for that. It seems so obvious now, but what a great solution! We actually have patio "pavers" here already!
cool.png

Keep in mind they could be a tripping hazzard, what I did was build up the ground in front of the blocks, and then inside of the run, so it slopes. Makes it easier to get my cart in there, too, when I need to clean things up a bit.

Another suggestion on securing the gate itself. I have two latches on mine. One at eye level and one about 10 inches from the ground. This is to keep a smart dog or any other varmit from sticking their nose between the post and gate and prying it open just enough to squeeze in. This was learned from one of life's teaching sessions.

Quote:
I really like that design. I am building one like it, and I am also planning on attaching a run. I don't think you will need that many nest boxes, so I will use that extra space as more floor space area. Let me know how well it is built when you get it. The one I am building will be completely framed out.

How many chickens do you plan on housing?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom