What about shredded paper for brooder liter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ncmtngal, Jan 16, 2012.

1. ncmtngal

ncmtngal Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    I have tons of shredded paper. Does anyone see any conflict with using it as brooder liter? It's cross-cut (very small). I'm concerend they may try to eat it? I'll remove the plastic pieces, of course.

2. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    I AM ALSO WONDERING...I have access to tons of shreds but they are they long skinny strips...would be awsome to use and would compost fast!!

3. chickenannie1

chickenannie1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    I use shredded paper in my brooder boxes all the time. Easy clean-up and they don't try to eat it at all. I haven't had any problems with it. I had all my layers in it while they were inside and still have my banty babies in it now. They snuggle right into it just like hay. I just add more as it flattens like hay but it cleans up easy when wet or messy.

4. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I used some last week until i could get more shavings... OMG it smelled so bad after 1 day. Seriously. They spilled some of the water when i was gone plus the poop and i dont know why but gag! As soon as I got them back on shavings the smell was gone.

Excuse typos sent from my phone!

5. ncmtngal

ncmtngal Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    I didn't think about the smell factor [​IMG].

Good point!

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I use shredded paper whenever I don't have shavings readily available.
    The paper will smell real bad quickly and will need to be changed more often, but it works in a pinch.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by