What about the roos

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KZ, Mar 4, 2011.

  1. KZ

    KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

    298
    0
    109
    Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    Ok, don't hate me for asking, but what about the roosters you hatch when incubating eggs. It seems to me that if you get too many roosters they are going to fight and cause trouble in the barnyard. I can't imagine they are easy to sell or get rid of. Do you eat them?
     
  2. gryeyes

    gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

    I don't eat mine.

    I do have far too many roos, but surprisingly, they all get along. There was one skirmish with a young roo challenging the dominant roo, but it ended with only feather loss and a bruised ego on the part of the challenger. He now avoids the dominant roos at all costs.

    It's not the norm, though, as I understand it.

    In other words, your mileage may vary.
     
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  3. ScissorChick

    ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

    Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    If we get to many roosters, we have no problem finding them homes.

    However people do eat them. Up to you!
     
  4. macdoogle

    macdoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

    183
    0
    109
    Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm hatching for the first time and want to know the answer too. I actually want to keep at least 1 roo. I feel that if I get one 'by chance' I can talk my neighbors into it. I have nice neighbors and have been bribing with eggs for a while. Otherwise there is a butcher shop down the road that I plan to talk to. I think they may be able to accomodate any extras. It's really all talk for now. Once it's mine I have a really hard time letting go.
     
  5. CANDLE98

    CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

    631
    1
    141
    Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I had 13 extra roos and I rehomed the silkies and i ate the other ones. They were way tastey at about 6 months!
     
  6. macdoogle

    macdoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

    183
    0
    109
    Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    I do think that the chicken you buy at the supermarket is someones Roo.
     
  7. ekemily

    ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

    488
    0
    119
    Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    We eat ours, unless it's a roo that looks like it would make a nice addition to a flock. Then, we sell it for more than it's worth to buy for eating... about $10.
    I do not enjoy dispatching the roos, but it's unavoidable if you're planning on eating them. I tell them thank you, and I do it quickly. It's very satisfying to me to know that I hatched this chick, raised it with care, and was able to put the bird on my table to nourish my family. Some people can't believe I can raise a baby chick into an adult and then eat it. I ask them if they've ever eaten a chicken that wasn't killed. Since I do eat chicken, I would much rather eat a bird that I know everything about, rather than one from the store.
     
  8. wannabchick

    wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:Your funny...
    Lol
     
  9. Sunny Side Up

    Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

    4,726
    128
    281
    Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    The chicken you buy at the supermarket is a bird especially bred to grow big & meaty in just 8 weeks. It's really a big chick, and probably doesn't even know if it's a male or female by the time it's processed.

    It's smart to consider what you'll do with all your unwanted roos before you begin a hatching project. The reality of life for roosters is that in a mixed flock the ideal ratio is 1:10. And many flocks have no roosters at all. So there really are "job positions" as breeders, pets, or flock husbands for a mere 10% of all roosters hatched. The other 90% really have their purpose on a plate somewhere.

    You could learn to process them yourself, find a local processer, or advertise them on Craigslist or at your feed store. Some of them might be fortunate to find a better place to go, but be resigned to this fact of rooster reality.
     
  10. Liamm_1

    Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Quote:[​IMG]
    I recently hatched 12 White Leghorns. Although they are not typically a meat bird, I will process all but 1 roo for consumption.
    I'll keep the top roo for breeding. This was the plan from the beginning, so they won't be 'pets'.
    As far as cornish X (supermarket chickens) go, I'd assume that most factory farmers choose all males, for uniform production, am I wrong?
     
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by