what about this for a duck house? pic...

wackwack

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 24, 2011
south east ireland
110085_duck_house.jpg

i am looking at getting one of these, what do you think?
it is basically a big dog kennel but i think its perfect for my wack wacks......
its 8 feet long, 4 feet deep and 4 feet high....
do you think it would do?
i hate that they are locked up so many hours now that winter is here, and their house is just about ok size but when i add food and water to it it is just a total mess by morning, obviously i clean it up but i dont like them being in there in that....
so with this new one they can have the kennel side for sleeping and hopefully laying, and in the run part i can put their food and water and even their little paddling pool!!!!! so then when they go in at 5pm (soon to be 4) as they go in automatically once its dark, they dont have to wait 14-15 hours till i bring brekkie!!!
that also means that if i decide to get 1 or 2 more.....
big_smile.png
they should still have lots of room....

cleaning it will be more bending over i guess, but i'm used to that anyway!! I'm not sure if the run part has a floor, but if it does i think i will just put lino down on the whole lot so i can sweep/wash it out easily...
any other problems you can see?????

i have managed to find a second hand one that was used as a dog kennel for a few months so i will clean it out again but the store selling it have assured me it has been disinfected etc and as they are a poultry supply store they said it is safe for duckies.....

That's beautiful! I'm sure your ducks would love that! My only concern is the windows. What is the material used on it? You wouldn't want a raccoon to injure any of your ducks through it.

I agree that it looks good for ducks. And I agree about putting done heavy duty mesh over the windows. It might have something there already but see if you think it needs an upgrade.

That looks grand! And yes, ditto the half inch wire (hardware cloth).

Lino is good - I have that on the floor of the 4'x8' outdoor house, and I have it going several inches up the wall - wow am I glad I did! I let the pine shavings build up for comfort and insulation, so having some flooring on the lower part of the walls is great.

By the way, I set 1"x3" wood strips at the top of the flooring to keep yuck from getting under and behind it. Just a suggestion.

bow.gif

Thanks! Yes I am hoping to get some end of roll or off cuts of the lino to keep the cost down so if i can get enough i will def do the walls a but too, good idea on the wood strips, do you mean around the top of the wall part? ya?
hopefully i can get some nice colours too hehehe

I don't have a pic of the wood strips, but here is my first attempt, using duck tape.

46527_img_0998.jpg

The next day, the tape started unsticking, so I got the - are they called furring strips? - and used screws to attach them to the wall.

The duck tape worked great on the seams, flooring-to-flooring, just didn't stick to the plywood.

thumbsup.gif

super, thanks, i will save my duck tape so!! I cant wait to get it now!!! they are going to love it!!!!

with that deep bed.. do you then take out all the wet bits every day?

Back
Top Bottom