what age can I put my chicks outside???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kathnkyle, Aug 29, 2008.

1. kathnkyle

kathnkyle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2008
    Dorset, England
    I have 13 silkie chicks that are 4 weeks old! They are getting too big for thier brooder really now so I was wondering at what age can you put them outside?? They have beenoutside during the days!! They all have feathers now!!
    Thanks x

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    You can put them outside right now. At night and on chilly days they will still need a lamp for heat.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just for the record. Chicks do not necessarily have to be started in the house. If you have a safe, predator-proof building that you can maintain at the appropriate temperature based on the chick's age, they can be outside from day one. Mine were.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Mine were outside at 1 1/2 weeks without a heat lamp...temps were in the 60s and sometimes 50s. They did wonderfully, had each other for warmth and a thick pile of straw in which to cuddle. At 4 weeks they were started free ranging with my big birds and now at 5 weeks I sometimes have to do a double take to see if some of them are the bigs or the littles! Fully fledged, fat and sassy and holding their own with the big ol' ladies!

5. Pauline

Pauline Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    France
    Hello everyone,

I have 3 baby chicks, 8 days old, still with there mom, how long before i can put mom back with my other chickens and leave the babies to it, they are feeding and comming along nicely but they are only eating what there mom says they can, so to speak, she is not eating much as she is letting the little ones feed, i think she would be better off out with the others to eat more and and put a bit of weight on, the chicks have a nice warm bed with lots of hay, at 8 days old can they come away from mom.

Thanks
    Pauline

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    A lot of people have brooders right in their hen houses which would be really nice [​IMG] SO I would say it would be ok for them to go out.

7. Pauline

Pauline Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    France
    they are outside now with there mom, they have a little covered park, and a nice warm bed at night outside, can i take mom away from them yet and leave them to fend for them selves, i feed and water them i am just a bit worried about mom as she is not eating much

Thanks Pauline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by