What age can pullets move in to the coop with no heat in NY?

JaclynSunnyvale

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2024
I have six week old chicks that are getting too big for the house. I live in New York so it can still get below freezing at night and fluctuate between 20 and 60° during the day. At what age can chicks go outside without heat below 60°? I am hesitant to put a heat source in the chicken coop due to fire hazard.

They need to be fully feathered (no baby fluff anywhere) and acclimated. They will be at least 8 weeks old. Are they still using the heat plate or lamp in the brooder now? Even if not, you can’t just move them from your house to the fridgid outside - you have to get them used to cooler temperatures. How many do you have? The more the better they can keep themselves warm - especially if you make them a cozy nook, like a cardboard box with lots of bedding where they can cuddle up.

There are ten pullets. I have them in a big wire cage with cardboard zip tied to the inside and lots of wood shavings. When I do move them to the coop I plan on moving the entire cage and they will stay in there for a week before I let them run with the hens.

Most chicks are fully feathered at 4 to 5 weeks of age. So I'd expect your chicks can handle those temperatures. I agree it is better if they acclimate so I'd be moving them out during your colder days and maybe bring them in for the night for a few days. With 10 pullets they should be able to huddle together and keep each other warm but I understand you being nervous. With that wind protection in your cage I'd be a lot less worried than if a breeze could hit them.

Most of my concern is how much you are going to worry as opposed to how much actual risk there is to the chicks. You are going to feel better and have more confidence if you see how they react to those temperatures. So expose them and see how they do. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights in the mid-20's Fahrenheit with no supplemental heat. They were raised in the coop with heat in a big brooder so they were acclimated. Some mornings there was ice in the far corner of that brooder but the area they were in was fairly toasty.

I moved mine out in upstate new york at about 5 weeks old. Just made sure they had ample air flow, and their heat plate has been in a corner of the coop as it's gotten sub 20 a few times. But they have been just fine. If they get too cold they will just ball up in the coop. Mine are around 8 weeks and are not dependent on the heater I just leave it in there in case another cold snap decides to come in.

If you are trying to acclimate them with other hens the kennel is a great way to acclimate them, but just know to keep an eye on them to ensure no one is being too rough. Pecking order takes weeks sometime to get in line, but as long as they are not pulling feathers/causing blood then all should be fine.

Good luck!

There are ten pullets. I have them in a big wire cage with cardboard zip tied to the inside and lots of wood shavings. When I do move them to the coop I plan on moving the entire cage and they will stay in there for a week before I let them run with the hens.
Did you ever have heat in that setup? I don't find heat plates or MHP's in the coop fire hazards at all. I start mine outside with a ceramic lamp and I DO consider that and of course Red hot's fire hazards.... Not for my coop, but for most..... I'd put them out now, with a plate or MHP for just another week or so and that's because you said *20.

Back
Top Bottom