What age can they be left outside

Old question but I figured I would contribute since I look things up from old threads. The questions and answers never really change.

I live in Colorado and let mine out at about 3-4 weeks for a period each day (or as much as I'm able to due to work.) I partition off about half my run with soft fencing or netting since it's temporary. I also pile up scrap wood or stuff around the bottom (as you can see in the photo) if they are still small enough to squeeze out the run fence.

I let the little ones run around in there for about 6-8 hours a day as long as there is no rain, excessive winds, or temps below about 45° F. This also allows my older girls to get used to them and the chicks get a chance to run, scratch, dirt bathe or whatever their little minds think of. After about 2-3 weeks of this, I coop them at night, but keep an eye on them during the day. If things look rough, I will keep them separated for a week or two longer during daylight hours. No problems yet. If you're wondering about no cover on the run, I have a yellow lab so that deters cats and hawks. Again, no problems so far.

Back
Top Bottom