What age can they go out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ameyl, Nov 19, 2012.

1. ameyl

ameyl New Egg

Nov 19, 2012
    Devon
    We have about 8 week old rode island red chicks. What age can these go out with our fully grown?

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd do it now. They're big enough.

3. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    I live in michigan and had 5 week old chicks and i put mine out. I use a light for a couple hours wt night and they are all thriving.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    We waiting like 3 weeks and then i fenced off the area under our nest boxes (7ft long, 2 ft deep, and 19in high) for them to be close to the adults but not in pecking range... After 2 weeks of that, i cut the fencing at both ends to allow the chicks to "mingle" while maintaining natural escape routes... Naturally they chase to the corners, where chick sized holes wait for them to get to safety... Once they had the option to come out, they were roosting at night with everyone else within the week... Worked well enough thats how ill do it next time... Learned from our first new chicks getting pecked raw and seeing skull on the back of ones head

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  5. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Mine are raised by broody hens, that take the chicks out after 2 and before 3 weeks without regard to season. I have had 3 week olds outside with there moms in Jan. Of course the brodys look after and protect the babys. I just cannot see going back to the red light/box/my problem, when chickens raise chickens so well.

6. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    As for going outside, we started giving our chicks "yard time" for an hour a day after the first week... Supervised of course... After a couple weeks of this they got 1 hour unsupervised (ok, we peeped in on em, but they didnt know) ... By week 5 we let them spend the days outside, tho they didnt mingle with our grown chickens... But when it was time to go in for the night they go in just like everyone else... Here we are, week 8, everyone present and accounted for without incident

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I always worry about this as well! I guess I am the mother hen eh? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by