What age can you feed mixed corn from

By mixed corn, are you talking about a mix of scratch grains or different varieties of corn?
They CAN eat some grain at any age. But the question is should they?
If a mother hen brought chicks out to forage she would show them what to eat and that would include seeds/grains. However, Chick starter feed (and all other feeds) are already mostly corn, grains and legumes so there is no need to add more of what is already in the feed and will lower the protein and some of the vitamins and minerals in the feed.
If you have a complete chick starter feed, that will give them the best growth and immune system than mixing in more of what are already the primary ingredients in the feed.
Have you read the ingredient list on the feed?

By mixed corn, are you talking about a mix of scratch grains or different varieties of corn?
They CAN eat some grain at any age. But the question is should they?
If a mother hen brought chicks out to forage she would show them what to eat and that would include seeds/grains. However, Chick starter feed (and all other feeds) are already mostly corn, grains and legumes so there is no need to add more of what is already in the feed and will lower the protein and some of the vitamins and minerals in the feed.
If you have a complete chick starter feed, that will give them the best growth and immune system than mixing in more of what are already the primary ingredients in the feed.
Have you read the ingredient list on the feed?
It’s a like a treat the same as I give my adult hens and Cockerill .. it’s nice for them to be treat aswell if they can, obv I only feed whats good to all flock but the mixed corn they have as a treat so wondered if the chicks could
attached photo of it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 30
So it is what we call scratch grains which is a mix of grains and in this case is corn and wheat. Depending on the age of the chicks and if they have appropriately sized grit they can have some limited to about 5% of the total intake. I don't feed anything but chick starter till they are about 10 weeks old.

Last edited:
So it is what we call scratch grains which is a mix of corn and wheat. Depending on the age of the chicks and if they have appropriately sized grit they can have some limited to about 5% of the total intake. I don't feed anything but chick starter till they are about 10 weeks old.
Mine are 12 weeks Saturday

So it is what we call scratch grains which is a mix of corn and wheat. Depending on the age of the chicks and if they have appropriately sized grit they can have some limited to about 5% of the total intake. I don't feed anything but chick starter till they are about 10 weeks old.
I have give them a little to try

Corn is carbohydrates and will dilute the protein in the feed. That is not healthy. Chickens don't need "treats", they just need a well-balanced feed, plenty of fresh, cool, water, and lots of shade at this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom