What age can you tell the gender? Also should I mark my roo somehow?

Willow's Meadow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
I ordered 16 pullets and 1 cock from Cackle Hatchery. They marked my roo with a purple mark on his head(guessing some kind of marker). They are all 3 weeks old now and the purple marking is wearing off. What should I do before it completly wears off? What age can you tell the males verses the females?

You can either put another line on his head with a marker, or just not worry about it. You won't be treating him any differently than your girls (I assume).

You should be able to accurately sex him by 12 weeks VERY easily, but some people can as early as 4-6 weeks depending on breed. Good luck!!

Put a zip tie on one leg.
smile.png

mb chicken man I don't think putting a zip tie on the leg is a good idea. They grow so fast it might restrict blood flow.

I have 12 BO's and 12 White Plymouth Rocks. I have 1 BO Rooster (which is what I ordered!
smile.png
) Anyway, at about 4 weeks old I noticed that HIS comb was starting to get larger, it was darker red too. I have a picture of him at 6 weeks. You can definitely tell he is a roo, especially comparing him to the others. He is right in the center with his head slightly turned.
57970_100_1069_00.jpg

I'd only mark a chick I couldn't tell from others. Now, when I first decided I wanted chickens, I just KNEW I wouldn't be able to tell 'em apart if I got all the same breed. Like, if I got six RIRs, I'd have to name 'em all Rhoda, and every morning would be like this: "Good morning, Rhoda. Hi, Rhoda. 'Mornin', Rhoda. Well, howdy there, Rhoda..." So I didn't; I got all different breeds.

Then I bought two laying Golden Lakenvelders, and worried about telling THEM apart. But I could. So I got brave and bought two Wellsummer chicks this Spring when I got more chicks. I could tell them apart, too.

However, now that the two Sebright roos are about 13 weeks old, I find I have trouble telling George from Alex. I have to see them together to notice the difference. Luckily, this is not difficult - they usually hang out together.

What I'm trying to say is that you should be able to tell 'em apart, really, right? Why mark 'em?

Check their feather development. I have three chicks almost four weeks old now, and I can tell the males from the female. The female has a small tail and longer wing feathers, the other two have no tail feathers yet and for a little while had wing "stubs". In general females develop their wings faster than males, but I think that can depend on breed. It gets a bit mixed as they get older, but I can tell each individual apart (mixed breeds).

Look at each chick and see what their feather development is like and compare it with the male.

Our local family run feed store caries small plastic leg bands for .12 each. Maybe you can call feed stores from your phone book and ask if they sell them.

How about a little food coloring on his head, tip of a feather, something?

I recommend a zip tie, they come in multiple colors, inexpensive, easily removed and replaced. I agree that chicks do grow fast but not fast enough that it will lose a leg overnight. Keep the tie loose and replace often.

Back
Top Bottom