What age can you tell your chickens breed?

Annnies

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 1, 2012
New South Wales, Australia
Yesterday I was given 2 week old chicken, hoping for hens, and I have no idea what breed they are. How soon can you tell? At the moment one is just pure black and the other a honey colour, no other markings or different coloured feathers etc.
I'm new to chickens :)

I would wait a few more weeks..post some pics one here and we might be able to tell you want breed...where did you get them from...a hatchery or a local farm or what...do you know if they are a mixed breed (mutt) or pure breed?...knowing where them came from will let us know a little bit better as to if they are mutts or not.

Some breeds have many similar characteristics while others have characteristics or a combination of characteristics that are unique to them. Without seeing pics, we would be hard pressed to even advise on the possiblities of the breeds of your chicks. Feather color is only one minor factor. Comb type, leg color, number of toes, leg feathering, wing carriage, stance, build, and "head furnishings (beard, muffs, crest, tufts, etc)" all play a part in determining breed.

This is the only picture I have at the moment, I know it's not very good ha ha will take some more in a few weeks when they develop a bit more. I am unsure where they are from, my partners fathers bestfriend (that was a mouthful) hatched them in an incubator at a preschool to show children, I will try track down some more history over the next few days,

black one could be a black Australorp and the buff one could be a red sex link...but they could just be a mix of several different breeds

Back
Top Bottom