1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age can you tell your chickens breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Annnies, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Annnies

Annnies Out Of The Brooder

Yesterday I was given 2 week old chicken, hoping for hens, and I have no idea what breed they are. How soon can you tell? At the moment one is just pure black and the other a honey colour, no other markings or different coloured feathers etc.
    I'm new to chickens :)

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Some breeds you can tell at hatching and others you have to wait until they develop a bit.

3. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    I would wait a few more weeks..post some pics one here and we might be able to tell you want breed...where did you get them from...a hatchery or a local farm or what...do you know if they are a mixed breed (mutt) or pure breed?...knowing where them came from will let us know a little bit better as to if they are mutts or not.

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Some breeds have many similar characteristics while others have characteristics or a combination of characteristics that are unique to them. Without seeing pics, we would be hard pressed to even advise on the possiblities of the breeds of your chicks. Feather color is only one minor factor. Comb type, leg color, number of toes, leg feathering, wing carriage, stance, build, and "head furnishings (beard, muffs, crest, tufts, etc)" all play a part in determining breed.

5. Annnies

[​IMG]
    This is the only picture I have at the moment, I know it's not very good ha ha will take some more in a few weeks when they develop a bit more. I am unsure where they are from, my partners fathers bestfriend (that was a mouthful) hatched them in an incubator at a preschool to show children, I will try track down some more history over the next few days,

6. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Members here can probably tell you what chick breeds they might be. It's best to take a photo from the side view including face and legs/feet too.

7. Annnies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    black one could be a black Australorp and the buff one could be a red sex link...but they could just be a mix of several different breeds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by